This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Ever wondered what’s the key for a strong team? UPRM students would answer team spirit and support. Now, meet two of the main groups that make sure colegiales support and feel proud of their tarzanes & juanas, the marching band and las abanderadas.

The band

CAAAAAM! This is the distinctive expression you will hear every time you hear the drum cadence. From this moment on, the marching band members can’t even move a finger. As a member of this prestigious group, I can say that for over 40 years, Colegio’s Centenarian Marching Band has been the official marching band for the Justas LAI games, where we bring our school spirit. Members of the band can agree that it’s an indescribable feeling, seeing how other universities are looking forward to our show. Last year, even the Interamerian University started singing Colegio’s hymn. Needless to say, it was surprising to all because it was completely unexpected. Industrial Microbiology senior, Koby Bonilla, says: “there’s no greater feeling than to scream COLEGIO every time we finish our Hymn in every presentation.” This shows the proudness and the enthusiasm felt by the whole band in each presentation.

The feeling is completely different when it comes to our drum majors, because not only do they have to direct the band and las abanderadas, but they have to make sure the performance goes as planned. Georgianne Matos, Animal Science major and drum major said: “This year I have the privilege to direct the band as the drum major with my partner Anthony as well. This is the first time both of us are at the front and I’m completely sure that the sensation and the experience will be totally different. ”. Whereas Anthony Flores, Electrical Engineering student  agreed that “As a drum major, the focus is very different because I no longer have the opportunity to play. But, there’s no greater satisfaction than to see how it comes together. I have learned a lot moreduring the short time I’ve been a drum major, than the years I had been as a musician in the band. In the field, we demonstrate the highest quality of our work because the show will be as good as the musicians that are a part of it. ”

Las abanderadas

For this group of young ladies, to dance at the Justas is completely different feeling. Microbiology senior, Jéysika Zayas says, “if someone asks me what I feel when I dance at the Justas I would say fear. But not that type of fear that you run away from, but that fear that gives you courage to keep on going, that fear that releases adrenaline to keep on dancing.” To dance at the Justas, Jéysika states it’s a whole new challenge every single year. It’s extremely challenging to manage the flag with the windy air at Ponce and also to dance with the boots that don’t go that well with the synthetic grass at the stadium. But, after the performance is done and the drum cadence of our Hymn is playing, the sense of victory runs through the air. 

Both groups can declare that the preparation for the performance it’s gratifying at the end. This is when all the hours of hard work and preparation (under the sun during universal hour) is reflected in the audience and its reaction. The moment they step into the field at Ponce, they see the responses of the audience and they feel their support, not only of Colegio fans, but of the public in general, these groups feel that all of the sacrifices were worth it.

On a personal note, the Justas LAI is an event where all the members from the band and the abanderadas can show the union we hold as a family, and its greatness after all. For some of us, the Justas 2015 was our last presentation, but we proudly wore our school colors. 

Her Campus at UPRM