bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Unsure of what you want in life? You’re not alone.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Have you ever found yourself going through many quizzes or articles about personality tests and what are the careers that you are meant to pursue? Well, I’ve been there and I can assure you that a lot of other people have too, some are just better at hiding it. If you do some research, you will find that almost a third part of college students change their major before they even get to their third year! Most of us are not even sure if our major will be of any use in our future or if changing it is a better decision. In fact, this is mostly because attending college is like going to high school nowadays; it has become almost an obligation for students to go to college without truly realizing what they’re getting into. It is also a topic that is not talked about as much as it should thus making students feel insecure about what to do with their future.

However, feeling like you’re the only person in the world who doesn’t know what to do with your life is wrong; in fact, most people I know struggle with the same situation. I recommend opening up a discussion about it and letting others express the way they feel, this can help when it comes down to making our own decisions since it gives us an insight in other people’s perspectives on how they handle everything. I firmly believe that people who find what makes them happiest can contribute in a very positive way to society; that’s why getting to know yourself is so important. If I’m being honest, finding ourselves is not easy and there is no correct or general way of doing it, it is actually some sort of individual path that can be taken by exploring and learning in different environments or places that interest you. As a matter of fact, something that works for some people is taking classes they would like to learn more of even if they’re not in their curriculum; this can further your knowledge academically and can help you pinpoint what you like and what you don’t like.

Since I am probably in the same position as you right now in figuring out what I want to accomplish in life, I wouldn’t be able to tell you what you should or should not do. That is why I am only stating that it is okay to take your time in analyzing where you are at the moment and where you want to be someday; in other words, you’re not alone. Some of us take longer than others to find out what we truly want in life, and there is absolutely no problem with that. However, We have to continue to explore and observe our behavior over certain situations so that there is growth, individuality, and community.

Those of you who have your mind set on what you want in your future can encourage others to reach the level that you’re in if you can, and I congratulate you for being confident in your decisions and for reaching that amazing moment in your life. But, this doesn’t make anyone better than the other, or someone who is unsure better than others. This mentality of thinking that the person who is very sure of what he or she wants for their future is more advanced than the one who isn’t is completely wrong; instead, one should inspire and uplift those that feel unmotivated to keep moving forward. Everyone is different, and everyone will have different experiences throughout their whole life. That’s why it is ok to be in college and still be in the process of getting to know yourself, so you can decide what you want for your future; just trust yourself and be patient.

Comparative Literature BA
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.