TeatRUM presents: Show de Prepas 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Not so long ago, in a galaxy not that far away, the forces along with TeatRUM are getting ready to astonish you with the best Show de Prepas, that will ever be seen! TeatRUM is our university’s oldest theater association and it is their tradition to host and enact an entire show dedicated to Colegio’s freshmen, as a part of Semana de Prepa. The show will be taking place on Wednesday, August 5th at the Figueroa Chapel Amphitheater, at 7:00 pm. This year’s show combines freshmen’s experiences at Colegio with one of the most important blockbuster films of all time – the Star Wars original trilogy.

The show has a cast of 14 actors and actresses, and it’s being directed by two teatrumitas, Joshua Custodio (Psychology Major) and Fran Casillas (Philosophy and Film Graduate). When asked why they decided to take on the task of directing the show, Joshua Custodio shared: “After watching the Show de Prepas on 2013, I was impressed because it was my very favorite thing from Semana de Prepa. So I set myself with the goal to either act or direct in the show in a future; two years later here I am. It’s a good experience for the prepas, something innovate and different we’re offering them, definitely worth it.” Co-Director, Fran Casillas shared: “I wanted to direct the show because I find it a challenge in contrast with my career as a filmmaker. It wanted to experience the difference between directing behind a camera and directing a live play.” Both directors admitted to have chosen the Star Wars theme as a joke but, after brainstorming ideas and realizing how combining Science Fiction with a Colegial’s daily life was possible, there was no going back. “We’re doing everything possible to give a show so that the freshmen, and everyone who watches ends up astonished,” expressed Joshua Custodio. 

TeatRUM awaits you on this special Show de Prepas: UPRM Wars Episode MMXV: The Prepa Awakens. Be a part of two prepas experiences around our beloved Colegio and travel to a galaxy not so different from ours, where you will laugh and meet outrageous characters, very similar to those from George Lucas’ Star Wars. “I want this to be different from the others Show de Prepas we’ve performed” remarked Fran Casillas; and it seems to be happening this way. Bring your bestie, brother, grandma, even your favorite Jedi warrior or Sith lord. You will experience a show that’s out of this world or, better yet, out of this galaxy!

Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.
Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.