This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Alaska is a wonderful place – it has the largest forests in the United States, it is home to various indigenous tribes (one of the most famous being the Northern Eskimos or the Inupiat tribe), and dog mushing is the state’s official sport. Alaska is most known for its amazing view of the incredible Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). But did you know this amazing land is in immense danger?

The Willow Project was recently proposed by the Joe Biden administration and it puts us all at risk. This project is a proposal to drill petroleum on Alaska’s North Slope, a region known for its petroleum, to produce 180,000 barrels of oil a day. That is 1.5% of the countries complete oil production in just one day. Biden’s administration argues this will provide economic growth for the indigenous population of Alaska and for the US. 

However, this project puts so many lives at risk- the ecosystem of countless animals will be invaded and they will go extinct within this lifetime. If this project gets the green light, we’re looking at over 200 million metric tons of toxic waste getting pushed into our oceans and fresh waters. 

And as for the indigenous people of Alaska, they aren’t happy that their land is getting destroyed. What this would mean for them is: getting kicked out of their homes, pipelines being imposed upon their sacred land, their traditions and cultures that are tied to said land being destroyed and forgotten. 

When will the decision be made? It’s said the decision will be made on March 9 of 2023. How can we stop this? Sign petitions and spread the word. 

The following are links to petitions:

Action Network

Stop Willow

Change

This is a matter of life or death; not just for ourselves, but for our planet.

“I’m telling you there is hope. I have seen it, but it does not come from the governments or corporations. It comes from the people.”

Greta Thunburg
Julienid [they/she] is an English Literature student at the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez. her passions include literature, writing, and the mystical unexplained phenomenons of the universe. In thier free time, you will find them cozied up with their cat, a mug of hot cocoa and a book.