Sábanas Magazine Prepares for its Second Volume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

After their spectacular debut, Sábanas and its editorial team are back and ready for more. The Open Mic Night at La Tertulia last semester left the team feeling “excited and satisfied” that so many students were heard and had such a great time. The team said they knew that the magazine was never just a one-time thing, and are determined to continue providing a platform where students can feel free to express their most intimate selves through writing.

English majors Carlos Carrero Sepúlveda and Paola Rivera Santos, as well as Comparative Literature major Carolina Santiago Cintrón began their journey into Sábanas with no more than an inspiration and an idea. Carlos was inspired by past student publications and thought to create a magazine where others could be true to themselves and their writing. Soon enough, these colegiales had a plan of action, and it was their passion and resolve that brought Dr. José Irizarry into the fold. Originally reluctant to take on the project, the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez (UPRM) professor was not easily swayed, but was ultimately won over. “These guys, they convinced me. I didn’t want to [but] I’ve seen them work for a year and I don’t see them doing it for themselves. They really have a genuine love for literature, for poetry. They’re genuine people,” he expressed.

The Sábanas editorial team (left to right: Carolina Santiago Cintrón, Dr. José Irizarry, Carlos Carrero Sepúlveda, and Paola Rivera Santos)

Photo credit: Dr. José Irizarry

This faith was not misplaced, since the response to Sábanas has been overwhelmingly positive. In their first run, the editorial team received over 50 works by more than 40 authors and expect to receive even more this time around. Their last experience taught them how the publishing process worked and what to expect from it. Now, they are taking this opportunity to branch out into new platforms and events, which have so far been kept under wraps, but are sure to be exciting and worth the wait!

Even as they branch out, however, the Sábanas team is determined to keep the essence of the magazine as a print medium. Carolina Santiago, one of the editors, expressed, “It’s still our main objective that the magazine is printed, for the student body, and something that students can look, see, touch, and know that their work is in there.” Carlos Carrero added, “We want the magazine to bring students a sense of pride for their work, to let them see it physically published in an age where something new comes out in the internet every day.”

Sábanas is a magazine by students, for students. Behind the scenes, the editorial team is hard at work, making sure the chosen works resonate with the audience, and embody what Sábanas is about. They do not leave it to chance though. After being submitted, the author’s name is removed to maintain anonymity, and a rubric is used to maintain high standards. Not to worry though, at their core, Sábanas is a magazine made for students to put themselves out there, and publish what they really think.

The magazine is now open for submissions, and their publisher, Infinity Print, is ready to provide copies of their second volume. The extended deadline to submit papers is October 5th, 2016. A Spanish version is available in their page. Feel free to contact them through their Facebook page or email address: sabanas.magazine@gmail.com.

Andrea is an English major at UPRM typing life away one word at a time. As an accomplished tutor for the English Writing Center and peer-instructor, she has helped non-native speakers understand the nuances of the English language. She has taken DC by storm through an internship in the United States House of Representatives and is more than ready to tackle her future dreams. When not writing, you can find Andrea with her reading the book of the week or participating in something new.
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.