“Reino Mutante”: Chango Menas Provides a Unique Experience with Their First Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As Puerto Rico’s economic crisis continues to take over the island, more islanders have had to become part of the diaspora. Among the many Boricuas to leave the country was artist Xavier Rodríguez of the rock bands Los Convertibles and Indigo. After taking a break from releasing music, Rodríguez got together with producer Juan Covarrubias to create the first EP, Reino Mutante,” of his new project Chango Menas, which presents a blend of tropical and Caribbean sounds with dream and psychedelic pop.

(cover art for the EP by Puerto Rican artist Paola Penchi)

Starting “Reino Mutante” is “¿Chango a Donde Fuiste?,” a smooth blend of dream pop and bolero sounds that explores the pain of having to leave one’s homeland in search of better opportunities thereby becoming part of the diaspora. Afterwards, we are provided with “Las Putas,” a blend of tropical maracas with electronic and synthpop influences. Then the first half of the project comes to a close with “Criminales,” a relaxing Caribbean dream pop tune influenced by the bolero genre.

(one half of the duo as found on Facebook)

“Reino Mutante” finishes with two very relaxing songs as found in “Vals de Chango Menas” and “Contigo Estar.” The first of these is a fantastic blend of dream and psychedelic pop. Meanwhile, the latter is a relaxing yet danceable love song that features some fantastic female vocals and keyboards serving as a perfect closer to a very ethereal project.

(art for the first song in the tracklist)

Chango Menas’s “Reino Mutante” is a beautiful reflection of what it means to be a part of Puerto Rico’s diaspora. By blending tropical and Caribbean sounds with dream pop and psychedelia, the project provides a nostalgic feeling that many members of the Puerto Rican diaspora must feel every time they remember their days back in the island.

Listen to “Reino Mutante” on Spotify

All of the pictures in this article were found on Chango Menas’s Facebook

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.