Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It In The Independent Art Scene: Valeria Camille Lamboy Martinez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Valeria Camille Lamboy Martinez is an artist who dedicates herself to the making of jewelry under her own business Pink Lotus Handmade Accessories.

What got you into jewelry?

Ever since I could remember, there have always been two things in my life and those are my love for the arts and crafts, and fashion. I have always loved to create and being inventive, which I later applied to the accessories and clothes I would use. When I was around ten or twelve years old, my mom took a jewelry making course where she took the basics and I would always watch and learn with her. She then showed me how to do it until what started as a hobby for her, turned into my biggest passion.

How did you develop your style?

Como mencione anteriormente siempre me ha gustado la moda y jugar con los accesorios, no considero que tengo un estilo en específico como tal, todo depende de mi “mood” y de cómo me sienta al momento en el que estoy escogiendo mi “outfit”. Hay dias que puedo ponerme un vestido repleto en brillo y tacones como mismo hay días que tenis y cortos me parecen la mejor opción.

How has it evolved through the years?

I would that style has changed and evolved because of the trends that come with time; there’s always something new and, though our root might always be the same, we adapt and change at times. I don’t think I can describe my style in a specific way, but if there’s something I can say is that, with time, it has become more diverse in the sense that I like to experiment with more pieces that I would’ve denied as “that’s not for me” in the past.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

One of my biggest influences in jewelry making has been my mother because, as I mentioned previously, she was the one who introduced me to it. When it comes to creating a piece I am inspired by a variety of things. Some of these include the current fashion trends as well as my clients, what they like and their needs so that my work can have that special spark to make them stand out every day.  

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Aside from jewelry, I also love painting. Through painting I express myself in a variety of ways and it occasionally serves as therapy. It isn’t something that I practice with frequency, but I’m really drawn to it.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

Throughout the years, more awareness has been brought to the arts and people have slowly given its proper importance. The movement is growing and that’s due to a lot of the local talent that didn’t have many opportunities in the past.  

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

Lately, there has been a lot of events which have helped the independent art movement grow and I believe this is the moment to let others know who you are and pursue a career in the field, which has always been marginalized because being an artist has never been considered a viable “profession.”

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

I would tell her to be authentic and secure with herself in whatever she decides to do, and to work hard towards her goal.

What is your biggest goal right now?

Right now my biggest goal is to graduate from my bachelors because it will allow me to go into my next stage in life, whatever that may be. Once I close that chapter, I will be able to open the next and face new challenges.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I wish to create work that people can connect with. I hope people can express themselves with my work just as I express myself creating them.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Valeria Camille Lamboy Martinez

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.