Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It In The Independent Art Scene: Kerazza Studio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

Rosas-Z is a designer who works as a developer in a variety of projects like Kerazza+Studio, EtA, Alemán-Interior, Rosa Zay and Zurdo from residentials to the field of fashion. She gets inspired through the conceptualization and simplicity of each piece, where she highlights and strengthens the simplicity and purity of each work.

What got you into clothing?

I grew up sewing and always questioned various situations we live day by day. So I got into clothing because I wanted to break the boundaries society imposes through acceptance and diversity.

How did you develop your style?

By taking into consideration my essence and combining it with my clients’ vision, thus creating exclusive products.

How has it evolved through the years?

Every day we see different things, so seeing, for example, the socioeconomic impact which has created tendencies and products that reach more people has helped become more aware and authentic.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

When you finish being artificial and become true to yourself everything inspires you. Personally, one of my biggest inspirations is the Puerto Rican designer Margaret Díaz and how her unique character dominates an entire scene. It demonstrates that she doesn’t care what people think about her. I love how she also transforms what would regularly be a “no” into a “yes.” In short, a lot of my work is inspired by her personality, colors, looks and unique character.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Pottery, so I can make unique pieces every time.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

Art is the purest and most free medium to transmit what we feel. It is a way to protest in an authentic and peaceful manner. It shows differences and changes ways of thinking from a different perspective, which one can analyze and evolve.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

It is a work that impacts our feelings first and it makes us, as spectators, reflect heavily.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Believe and fight. Despite what might look like a difficult panorama, you have to bet until you win. If it becomes hard, take every disregard and transform it into a tool; many don’t know how to do this, only the ones who suffer along the way. Look for help in people who use their own success to help others; along the way, you will know who these people are.

What is your biggest goal right now?

Reach women and help them love each other in order to eradicate the image imposed by society.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

That we are all different and that beauty is relative, not obligatory.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Rosas-Z

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.