Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Geovanna A. Goycochea and Josefa Morales of Crochet Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, and libraries like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

What’s your name and what do you do in the arts?

My full name is Geovanna A. Goycochea and my grandmother’s name is Josefa Morales. I do crochet threading with one needle, but she does just about every type of crochet. We design and create everything from jewelry to tops, blankets and baby clothing.

What got you into clothing?

It was mainly driven by inclusion. Wanting that “bohemian” or “vintage” style in your clothing shouldn’t be restricted to the mainstream sizes or a specific vision in design. We experiment with different sizes and designs. Whenever we have a vision, we try very hard to bring it to life for our clients. We’ve had many plus size and extra small clients who are very pleased whenever they receive their tops. Our brand works with just tops (for now).

What got you into jewelry?

Throughout the years, jewelry became part of my personality. There was something about wearing simple or extravagant pieces that would tie my outfit together. So about a year and a half ago, there was a statement earring trend. I told my grandmother about it and she had the idea to make some crochet earrings. So we started working on them and people would compliment us all the time. Everyone would encourage us to make a business out of it, so we did.

How did you develop your style?

I would say my personal style is all over the place. I tend to love all trends. I know my love for statement pieces is what brought Crochet Shop to vibrant colors. My grandmother is very classic and chic, so we decided to combine those two styles. Our pieces are very vintage chic with vibrant, tropical colors.

How has it evolved through the years?

As I mentioned before, my style is all over the place. I would try to fit into a specific style like girly punk or boho growing up. Later on, I learned that my style is what I love and makes me feel comfortable and confident.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I’m very inspired by the tropical, Caribbean lifestyle; swimsuits, crop tops and light, airy clothing. The vibrant colors in nature are a huge inspiration. The festival culture is something we tend to look at a lot, too. The bohemian, vintage style used in Vanessa Hudgens’s outfits at Coachella are what made us jump into bralettes.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

For now, we want to keep expanding our range of crochet pieces. We want to get into swim coverups, bikinis, pants, dresses and many other amazing things. We’re so invested in perfecting and expanding this. All our love and energy is poured into our crochet at the moment.

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico?

I think the arts were being shadowed for a few years. With all of the small business flourishing and our society accepting entrepreneurship as career and lifestyle, we’ve seen a huge boom in the arts. It’s so amazing to go to artisan festivals and see all of the amazing creations. Everything from soaps to photography. It used to be a channel for older people but now, many young adults are stepping up and out. This is the time to invest time in your art and make it your life.

What do you think about the current state of the independent scene in Puerto Rico?

I’ve never been happier. Society is leaving traditional living behind and moving into entrepreneurship and making your passion your career. Nobody should push their art as a side thing because society believes that art isn’t a career. What makes it the most exciting is seeing people supporting us.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Do it even if others tells you not to. If you never try it, you don’t know how successful it will be. Trusting your gut feeling is a real thing and you should definitely listen to it. You don’t need to find your voice or style, you already have it. It might take time discovering what it is; be patient.

What is your biggest goal right now?

My biggest goal right now is to make Crochet Shop known locally. We want to be that brand that you wear or that you know someone who wears it. We also want to expand our offering.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

Our work aims to make our clients feel stylish and confident. On a personal note, it’s mostly about giving my grandmother something to do. Crochet is a therapy for her and mental health is something we give a lot of importance to. She adores making pieces for everyone and our clients adore her work.

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Geovanna A. Goycochea

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.