Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Cristina Muñoz Laboy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, book stores like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, Libros AC in Santurce and Libros 787 online, and independent festivals like Feria de Libros Independientes y Alternativos and Tintero: Festival de Cómics y Arte Independiente de Puerto Rico have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

What’s your name and what do you do in the arts?

My name is Cristina Muñoz Laboy, and I’m an artist. Two years ago I started Flora Pal Corazón, a project where I do research, create (mostly murals or drawings), and teach about endangered plants. I’m also the art teacher at the Boys & Girls Club in San Lorenzo.

What got you into the visual arts?

I’ve never been in a proper art school. When I was a kid, my mom decided to take me with her to a painter’s house in San Lorenzo (my hometown) to learn the basic skills about drawing and painting. During this process I discovered that I enjoyed it very much, and so every time I had a school project to do, I tried my best to be more and more creative. In high school, I struggled with the decision of what to study in college, choosing Fashion Design as my first option. Almost two years later, I found myself frustrated because of all the sewing (I hated it). So, I dropped out and in August of 2014 I started my Multidisciplinary Bachelor’s Degree in Visual Arts at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, finally freeing myself.

How did you develop your style?

Practicing and drawing every day. Trying different mediums, failing, and non-stop practicing.

How has it evolved through the years?

I think my work evolves through time, and in sizes. At first, I feared painting big scale pieces, but now I can/do confront myself with painting murals (metiéndole con todo el power).

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

Zaria Forman’s work influenced me to create art with purpose. I get inspired with nature, good music, conversations, art and colors.

Is there any other form of art you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

I wish I could sing well!

What do you think about the current state of the arts in Puerto Rico, especially the independent scene?

I think that the arts and the independent scene in Puerto Rico are in a good place and time. The economy is messed up, but there’s a movement to “apoyar lo local que hace que se admire y valore el trabajo del artista” (support local art that makes people admire and value the work). There are a lot of cultural events and ideas flowing, and there’s even been a more beautifully supportive outlet for creative souls, such as: exhibitions in independent art galleries, murals, poetry, novels, theatre, independent music artists, etc. I feel that there’s more artistic freedom and collaborations. But we still have a long way to go, even though we’re doing so well.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Try not being your worst and harshest critic; this is something that I’m still working on myself. Get to know other people’s work and surround yourself with more creative activities because it’s very important to know what’s happening around you. Get inspired, create, and whatever you do, never stop!

What is your biggest goal right now?

I trust that Flora Pal Corazón will keep growing, and that I will continue working on it. My goal is to enjoy the process, the road.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I want to keep using my art to educate people about conservation and climate change. If my art heals me and heals others every time it’s necessary, then that counts as an achievement in my book!

All of the pictures in this article were provided by Cristina Muñoz Laboy

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.