Career

Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene: Coralis Rodríguez Muñiz of Party Kit Digital Creations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With the internet being so easy to access, it has become easier for independent artists to find an audience and let their work be known. As a result, a variety of movements, collectives, and scenes have found a way to pave their path. The independent art scene in Puerto Rico is no different. Recently, many artists from a variety of disciplines have found platforms that have made it easier for them to share their work. In addition, small businesses such as Electroshock in Santurce and Rio Piedras, bars like Off The Wall in Mayaguez, book stores like La Casita Books and Gifts in Aguadilla, Libros AC in Santurce and Libros 787 online, and independent festivals like Feria de Libros Independientes y Alternativos and Tintero: Festival de Cómics y Arte Independiente de Puerto Rico have provided up-and-coming artists a space to display their talents. “Puerto Rican Women Killing It in the Independent Art Scene” is a series of  interviews that provides a glimpse at some of the women who have recently gained recognition in the art scene. Though the artists are asked similar questions, some are asked queries surrounding their work, specifically.

What’s your name and what do you do in the field of arts and business?

Coralis Rodríguez Muñiz and I am a designer and creator of personalized events. I do everything I am passionate about. I create personalized works for birthdays, weddings, baby showers, gender reveals and other events. I also do logos for companies and graphic design for promotions, invitations, among others. In each project, I try to present my passion for the arts.

What got you into this field?

When I was 18, I found out I would be an aunt for the first time, it was going to be a boy. I had recently graduated and had started my Social Sciences Bachelor’s at the University of Puerto Rico in Mayagüez. Inspired and supported by my parents and sister, I decided to take a workshop. Afterwards, I started to prepare everything for my nephew, even educating myself through additional internet tutorials. Then, when my nephew turned one year old, I created a Facebook page and Party Kit Digital Creations was born.  

How did you develop your style?

I like to give each event its own unique look through the use of colors and by personalizing each piece.

How has it evolved through the years?

I started in 2014; everything I created was handcrafted. My first years focused on candy boxes, flags, cupcake toppers, and picture props. Currently, I have machines for cutting and ironing shirts, which make the process easier. Little by little, I have brought a variety of pieces to Party Kit Digital Creations for different seasons. For Christmas and Three KIngs Day I create personalized shirts, elves with certificates, Santa Cam, Kings Cam; for Valentine’s Day I make bags, toppers and personalized letters; and for the Back to School time I create labels and waterproof stickers.

What are some of your influences and inspirations?

I am inspired by the happiness presented by kids and their parents when they see my pieces. It inspires me to do better and grow.

Is there any other form of field you wish to pursue? If so, what field and why?

Right now, I want to get certified as a graphic designer and learn about the field of photography so that everyone who visits my page can appreciate my work better.

What do you think about the current state of the arts and small businesses in Puerto Rico?

I believe we are progressing. I have a lot of colleagues who have shown their passion and dedication to their crafts and this allos and motivates future generations to develop and achieve their dreams.

If a young girl came up to you and said she wanted to be an artist, what would be your advice for her?

Present yourself. Give it your all and never give up. You are a star made to shine and if you have a talent you should let others know. With dedication, you will achieve all of your goals. Always go the extra mile. Don’t leave your dreams to the side, get motivated and achieve them.

What is your biggest goal right now?

Be recognized for my work in Puerto Rico and other countries so I can show everybody that nothing is impossible and that one can achieve whatever they want. Us, the youth, have decided to create our own businesses which will inspire others and that is the biggest satisfaction one can get.

What do you seek to achieve with work?

I look to present all of my ideas and make Party Kit Digital Creations grow every day. Innovation permits growth and that inspires the youth achieve their goals.

All the pictures in this article were provided by Coralis Rodríguez Muñiz

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.