Pop Culture Extravaganza @ UPRM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

This year’s edition of the Popular Culture Student Association’s (PCSA) Conference at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez (UPRM) was even better than the last! The conference began earlier than ever with a Cosplay Parade on Thursday. Students and professors gathered to show their enthusiasm and excitement about the conference and their love of Popular Culture.

The actual conference kicked off at 9:30 AM on Friday April 1st with a presentation from the “Centro de Redacción en Español” (CRE) on short narrative forms. The day continued with cosplay workshops and a talk by the very well known Jose M. Romaguera, and finished with an encore of the highly beloved Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Saturday was when our very own “colegiales” were able to shine. The majority of Saturday’s presentations were given by students who are deeply passionate about pop culture. The panelists spoke about TV series such as Doctor Who and Steven Universe, anime series such as One Punch Man and Noragami, and even about Star Wars’ new installment and how there are undeniable hints towards romance in the movie (Yes, we ship it too!). The activities on Saturday were elevated to new heights thanks to Bonafide Rojas’ keynote speech at the Chapel Amphitheater, in which he debuted poems written exclusively for the conference! Our jaws dropped to the floor at the sheer talent this poet possesses.

The conference came to a close on Sunday with the highly anticipated West-Con. West-con was a paradise for lovers of pop culture, and the reaction from the public was outstanding. The place was packed to capacity with cosplayers, onlookers, and fans who wanted to have a good time. Bonafide Rojas made a guest appearance on Saturday as well and delighted the public with poems on Doctor Who, Star Wars, and Dragon Ball Z. Among the many vendors, artists, and cosplayers there was a real sense of unity and camaraderie.

Here at Her Campus UPRM we can’t wait for the next one!

Vashti Tacoronte is an English Major at the University of Puerto Rico: Mayaguez Campus. Her studies focus on literature and writing. She is a blogger, an aspiring writer and an amateur book reviewer. She enjoys young adult books, fiction, horror stories, creepypastas, and manga. For more information visit her blog titled Alphabet Soup (noxmelodia.wordpress.com) or follow her on twitter @windsorwrabbit. Stay creepy.
Her Campus at UPRM