A petite blogger with BIG style: Gabriela Luciano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Meet Gabriela Luciano, a 23-year-old driven fashion blogger born and raised in Mayagüez. She is the brains behind Pícara by GL, a blog that she started with her best friend Paola Penchi (the blog’s photographer). Gabriela is a self-proclaimed foodie who likes to salsa dance and read in her spare time. Her blog has achieved great popularity in a relatively short amount of time, landing her a job as communications director for designer Lemaris Lorenzo. She graduated in June 2013 having majored in Political Science and earning a Certificate in International Relations. She is currently applying to grad school, so this is just the beginning for this busy fashionista! Keep on reading to find more about Gabriela and be sure to check her out her blog: http://picarabygl.com

HCUPRM: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

GL: Ok, this is a tricky question for me! I am just a woman trying to find her place in world, like all of us. I was born and raised in Mayaguez, so I have basically been here all my life.  I have to admit I can’t wait to get out of here (even though I do love it) and explore what the world has to offer.

HCUPRM: What inspired you to start your blog, Pícara by GL?

GL: Fashion and music have always been two of my greatest passions in life, but living in a relatively small town where people don’t always pay much attention these it was hard for me to express my interest in them. I wanted a way to reach people who could share my appreciation for both. Also I had been following different fashion blogs for years and  really wanted to be part of that community, so I just took the risk and started blogging with the help of my best friend and the photographer of the blog, Paola Penchi.

HCUPRM: How long have you been blogging?

GL: I’ve been blogging for almost a year now, since January 2013.

HCUPRM: What is your favorite aspect of blogging?

GL: My favorite part of blogging is interacting with people from around the world who share my same interests. It’s amazing to see how physical borders disappear thanks to technology and how people from different cultures can communicate because of the common language that the arts create.

HCUPRM: Who is your biggest inspiration?

GL: Many things, from music to certain people and even places, inspire me so I can’t mention one as my biggest. But if I have to mention at least someone in particular it would be some international bloggers who inspired me to start blogging. Some of these bloggers are Sincerely Jules, The Blonde Salad and Call Us Whatever. (Everyone should check them out; they are like celebrities in the fashion world)

HCUPRM: What is your biggest tip for someone who wants to start a successful fashion blog?

GL: The biggest tip I can give to anyone who wants to start a successful fashion blog is first: “Don’t be afraid to be bold”, there are always going to be people who love what you’re doing and others who just hate it or think that it’s stupid. Just go for it and be creative, give them something to talk about. Secondly: “Be persistent”; there are going to be weeks and even months in which you feel like you don’t want to post and won’t see the point on what you’re doing, but remember there is always going to be someone waiting for your posts to inspire them.

HCUPRM: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

GL: Right now I am applying to grad school to do a double master in public relations and international relations, so in ten tears I expect to have completed my master’s degree and be working in the area of international communications for a non-profit or a private corporation that foments arts and education in some way. As for my blog, I hope to keep blogging not only about fashion, but also about the experiences I will have through my career.

*Photos courtesy of Gabriela’s blog:  http://picarabygl.com

Sophomore majoring in Psychology at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez. I was born and raised in Mayagüez and am a self-proclaimed food lover who loves coffee, reading, the ocean and dogs.