This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Last semester, on Wednesday, December 2, TeatRUM, Colegio‘s oldest theater association, hosted their “Noche de Teatro.” At around 7PM, the doors of the Ramón Figueroa Chapel Amphitheater were opened to welcome dozens of students and onlookers. TeatRUM is known to host different shows and activities, most of which involve performance arts, such as its yearly “Show de Prepas,” their frequent improv shows, and comedy shows. The “Noche de Teatro” is also a popular event hosted by the association and it was the last one of the semester.

Yvonne Camacho performing her stand-up.

The event had six performances programmed for the night and an open mic at the end. Paulo Rodríguez was the opening act with a declamation of his original poem, “Vacío.” The second act was an original monologue called “La primera vez que me enamoré,” performed by Marisely Lugo. Additionally, Yvonne Camacho made her debut as a stand-up comedian, leaving the crowd laughing with her outstanding sense of humor and hilarious annecdotes. The fourth act of the night was “Hábitos Perdidos,” a short play about an abusive relationship written by Ángel Pérez and performed by Christine Baldaguez, Diego Toro, Fran Casillas, and Jennifer Mojica. Afterwards, Gabriela Aponte and Janely Lugo performed an electrifying and original contemporary dance with the song “My Immortal” by the rock band Evanescence. Lastly, Pablo Torres performed the monologue “Spic O’ Rama,” directed by Gustavo Velázquez and Iván Martínez. After the programmed acts, audience members were invited to make their way to the stage for the open mic where some recited poetry while others improvised a scene. Stand-up comedies were performed as well, creating an atmosphere of joyful laughter inside the Chapel Amphitheater. 

“Hábitos Perdidos” 

Ángel Pérez, the president of TeatRUM and host of the “Noche de Teatro,” shared why the theme “Celebrando tu Verdad” was chosen for this particular event. He explained that theater is a way for people to express meaningful stories. “I picked the theme so many people could be inspired to bring whatever talent they chose and so it would be more personal to everyone who wanted to present.” He also expressed the importance of performance arts on campus: “as actors, directors and overall creators of theater it is our responsibility to present truth through art. Everyone has a story to tell, and it is important to express and to be heard because that’s how we grow and learn as individuals.”

Pablo Torres performing “Spic O’ Rama.” 

“Noche de Teatro: Celebrando tu Verdad” brought both the performers and spectators to appreciate the arts as a more intimate and unique form of expression. It was an evening that showed how there will always be a place and a passion for one of the things that help one grow more as time goes by – art. 

The performers from “Noche de Teatro.” 

*Photo credit: Jiniris Correa

Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.
Her Campus at UPRM