Miss Jamaica: Queen of Radiance and Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

At only 21 years old, Davina Bennett, this year’s Miss Jamaica, rocked the Miss Universe pageant, which was held last Sunday. Bennett, the only contestant who wore her natural Afro to the contest, called the attention of millions with her great passion and confidence. When it was time to crown the winner, the audience was disappointed when she finished in third place, and booed in the background. Bennet would have become the first Miss Jamaica to have won the Miss Universe title, but beyond her outstanding appearance and grace, who is Miss Jamaica?

Born in Mitchell Town, located in Clarendon, Davina Bennett is a Marketing student at the University of West Indies, with hopes of becoming a successful entrepreneur. Throughout her modeling career, Bennett created the Davina Bennett Foundation for the Deaf, with its original purpose  to train and encourage models who are deaf; it later expanded to the rest of Jamaica’s deaf community. This non-profit organization was founded to raise awareness to the deaf community and break communication barriers.

With strength, Bennett let her voice be heard throughout the world. At the Top 3 Final Question Round, she was asked, “What quality in yourself are you most proud of and how will it make you apply that to your time as Miss Universe?”

Bennett replied, “It is my drive and determination. I am part of a foundation that helps deaf people. This platform will be a great platform to help people.”

Through social media, Davina Bennett won millions of hearts and inspired thousands of black women to embrace their natural beauty. Unfortunately, she also received hate-filled racist comments mocking her Afro, and comparing her with artists such as Puerto Rican rapper Tego Calderón. However, these comments did not shut down the overwhelmingly positive conversation that Bennett had started. Black women everywhere celebrated Bennett on social media platforms, like instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcCrpPdgMCe/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcCrTptho8T/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcCoY2vB3Hp/

Right after Miss Universe, Bennett wrote an encouraging post to all her fans, expressing her satisfaction with the work she has done. She may not have won the title, but she has won hearts throughout the globe.

Davina Bennett’s purpose was not to criticize other contestants, rather, it was to create awareness about the deaf community and to show that radiance and beauty is present in every race and ethnicity in the world. This year’s Miss Jamaica shattered typical Eurocentric standards, and delivered a message of hope to millions of black and mixed-race citizens who continue being discriminated against for their hair and skin color. Miss Jamaica’s achievement was being herself, standing tall and confident, unveiling her natural beauty to the rest of the world.

Celia M. Ayala Lugo is pursuing her Ph.D. in Literatures and Languages of the Caribbean in English at University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras. She studied her MA in English Education and worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at UPR Mayagüez. She also graduated with a BA in Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) and a teaching certificate from the Department of Education of Puerto Rico at the Inter-American University of Puerto Rico at San Germán. Celia has partaken in various conferences, both locally and internationally, such as PRTESOL, Coloquio de Mujeres, International Auto/Biography Association, and Popular Culture Association. Some of her literary works have been published in literary magazines such as Sábanas Magazine and El Vicio del Tintero. For the first time, one of her research papers has been recently published in the Journal of Modern Education Review. Her areas of interest include Caribbean and children’s literature, Caribbean women’s poetry, intersectionality, post-colonialism, and decolonization.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.