Love Potions: Mocktails for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s Valentine’s szn, and what better way to celebrate romance than pouring up some love potions?! I’m taking this opportunity to jump on the mocktail trend, in support of having a good time without the need to consume alcohol. The best part about it all is that you can bounce right out of bed the next day, hangover free. Fake it ‘til you make it, right?

Here are five rosey, loving, and sweet virgin drinks that I heart, and you might too! Get together with your friends- or lovers- and have some fun trying these out. I bet these mocktail recipes will land anyone’s heart better than cupid’s arrows. Happy loving! HCXO <3 

Queen of Hearts

If you’re keen on an intense flavor,  this blood orange and rosemary mocktail is ideal to opt for. It calls for homemade rosemary syrup, which is perfect for impressing your friends and showcasing your barista skills.

• 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 rosemary sprigs, lightly bruised
  • 1 cup fresh squeezed blood orange juice, strained 
  • 1 ⅓ cups cranberry juice
  • 2 cups cream soda

To make the rosemary syrup, heat up sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until syrup-like consistency. Then, remove from heat, place rosemary sprigs, cover with a lid, and let steep for 1-2 hours. 

In a separate pitcher, mix together all other ingredients. Then, take your glass, add two tablespoons of your rosemary syrup, and pour in the mixture. Add some ice cubes, and a rosemary sprig as a garnish, and voilà! 

Love Express, Oh!

Love coffee? If you do, this espresso mocktini is the perfect dupe for the traditional cocktail. This recipe comes with a twist: condensed milk. It gives the drink a yummy taste and creamy texture that is irresistible!

• 1 oz espresso
  • 1 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 oz skim milk
  • 1 oz non alcoholic vodka (optional)

Place all ingredients in a shaker with ice, and shake! Pour into a glass and serve. Easy peasy!

Love You Berry Much

For those looking for a sugar-free drink, this raspberry frozen margarita recipe is both skinny and virgin. It is a very refreshing option with a little bit of fizz. 

• 1  cup of frozen raspberries 
  • 1 cup of ice
  • 2 cups raspberry carbonated water
  • 2 tablespoons of lime juice
  • ½ cup sugar free margarita mix

Place frozen raspberries, ice, and lime juice in a blender and mix them together until you have a smoothie-like consistency. Once done, pour the mixture into your glasses about ¾ of the way. In a separate pitcher, mix together the raspberry carbonated water and the margarita mix. Then, pour this mixture over the blended raspberries until the rim of your glass. 

Note: If you wanna get serious with it, I recommend rimming your glasses with salt or tajín before you pour the drink. Use fresh lime around the rim to bind the granules to your glass!

Bee Mine 

Incorporated with honey-sage syrup and a hint if citrus, this drink is the perfect buzZzZ of sweetness.

• 1 cup of water
  • ¾ cup of honey
  • 1 cup of freshly squeezed mandarin or tamarin juice
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons of agave syrup
  • A few sage leaves

In a stove pot over medium heat, bring water to a boil and add sage leaves with honey for 2-3 minutes. Then, set aside for 5 minutes and it should be like a syrup consistency. In a separate bowl add juices and some fruits; add agave and stir. Finally, add honey-sage syrup in a glass pitcher (remove sage leaves) with the juice mixture, stir, and serve!

Cupid’s Punch

Just like the name, this drink feels like a hit of love. It is a sangría recipe with alcohol-free wine, perfect for a bigger crowd. 

• Sliced fruits of your choice: usually orange, lime, and apples are ideal.
    • You can also toss in some cranberries and pomegranate for extra flavor. 
  • 9 oz orange juice
  • 25 oz bottle of alcohol-free red wine
  • 18 oz sparkling beverage
    • Welch’s sparkling juice cocktail in the grape flavor is perfect for this.

Mix fruits, juice, and non-alcoholic red wine in a large glass pitcher. Let it sit in the fridge for 2-4 hours so that the flavors develop nicely. Before serving, add the sparkling beverage, and voilà!  

Hey! I am a Microbiology student and the current President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at UPRM Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.