The Karaçaí creators get lucky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Our university (UPRM) last week held an event better know as, Producto Nuevo Categoria Derivados del Lacteo, in which several groups of dedicated and talented students participated against each other for the success of their product. Yet, one group above all made an outstanding performance with the introduction of the new dairy product. Meet Jorge Delgado, Jose Rentas, Mercedes Echevarria, and Luis Rosado. The members of the group emphasize they never expected to win since all the work was done under time pressure. After all, the pressure really quite worked out since it directed them towards the first place. Curious what leaded them to their success? Keep reading and learn more about the new product!

Let’s meet the members of the winning team!

HCUPRM: What do you guys study? What do you do for a hobby?

Students from INPE, BIOL & AGRO.

Jorge Delgado: Usually my hobby is to surf.

Jose Rentas: My hobby is to skate.

Mercedes Echevarria: Going to the movies

Luis Rosado: Being in the field.

HCUPRM: Is this the first time the competition takes place?

No, it has been done already for several years.

HCUPRM: What was the main goal? 

Well, our main goal was to convince the judges that the dairy product ( Karaçaí)  was healthy one and a good option to add to anyone’s diet.

HCUPRM: Did you expect to win the competition?

No, we never thought about wining since all the teams where very good and the competition was very tight. Because of every teammember’s busy schedule everything was done practically under pressure.

HCUPRM: What are the benefits you guys acquire after winning?

Well,  the benefits you acquire from an experience like this is a certificate that later in a future can be used in a resume, and also the good grade in our laboratory course, since it was also done for a grade.

HCUPRM: How many members is the team composed of?

Four members, we are  Jorge Delgado, Mercedes Echevarria, José Rentas, and Luis Rosado.

HCUPRM: What’s the name of the product?  Does it have a meaning?

At first we had a couple of choices, but after taking it to a vote, Karaçaí was the one we came up with to name our product, also we used the “K” instead of the “C” letter to catch the attention of the audience.

HCUPRM: What is the product composed of?

The product’s mayor component are açai berries, alone the fruit is rich in  Omega 3, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. In addition, we used the fruits, such as guarana that is a natural substitution for coffee and also starfruit  that is the only one of them that is cultivated in the island at the moment.

HCUPRM: Did you guys knew that the product was going to taste good from the first try?

No, we never expected the product to taste good at all. Actually we were very impressed when we first tasted it, since our main goal was to make a healthy instead of a good tasting yogurt.

HCUPRM: Did you guys receive extra help in the process of the product?

Yes, we received an exceptional help from our mentor Miguel Rivera when it came to manage the machinery.

HCUPRM: Why do you consider your product won?

We think that our product won because our goal was to sell an original and healthy product to the customers giving them new options to include to their  menu.  Making them aware of what they actually need to add or to replace on their diet to have healthy lifestyle.

HCUPRM: Are you guys looking forward in a future sell the product?

Yes, but for the moment our main goal is to finish our studies and then see where it takes us. 

Hi! My name is Juvell Burris I am originally from Charlotte, North Carolina. However, I have been raised all my life in Puerto Rico. Currently, I am an undergraduate student in the University of Puerto Rico in Mayagüez under the bachelors of Industrial Microbiology. Even though my passion for math and science predominates everyday my main goal is to discover new potentials I can approach.