“Huye”: Nutopia Makes You Dance With Their Mix of Dance Rock and Synth Pop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

One of the fastest growing genres in Puerto Rico’s independent scene is electronic music, especially the sub-genre of synth pop. Groups like Buscabulla and Los Walters have represented the island inside and outside of it with said sound, but newer groups like Nutopia, with their album Huye, are exploring it while mixing it with other melodies, adding a blend of thought provoking lyrics with more light hearted ones.

Album cover art

Nutopia start their latest project in a soothing and relaxing synth pop fashion that eventually displays their love for pop rock with the love and sex-driven song “Compuertas.” They continue said energy in the more danceable “Agenda,” a track that presents not only their synth pop and pop rock mix, but also a bit of their new wave influences. Listeners are then treated to “Solar,” a tune which kicks off with some robotic vocals that will make the audience feel like they have been teleported to the 1980’s to then be brought back to more soothing vocals mixed with some nice keyboards and dance rock vibes as the musicians explore the relationship between Earth with the rest of the Solar System. Then comes the album’s title track and lead single, a dance rock anthem that takes a brief look at Puerto Rico’s current political status while telling listeners to stay awake and be aware of everything that surrounds them.

Picture of the group as found on their Facebook

The second half of Huye starts with “Autofoto,” a new wave inspired dance rock tune that takes the listener back to the more relaxed energy of the first three songs while exploring how one loses their touch with humanity if one focuses too much about their appearance on social media. Afterwards, we are treated to another introspective song in “Fluorescente,” a mix of synth pop, new wave, and dance rock that explores the sense of feeling of lost after having accomplished some sort of goal. Then Nutopia collaborate with vocalist Laya Kalima in “Reguero,” a danceable synth pop song about disappointing loved ones when one has no self-control. Finally, the group closes Huye with “Simpatia – Stone Tape Remix,” a new wave inspired synth pop tune that relaxes the listener in what feels like a journey across space.

The group performing as found on their Facebook

Nutopia’s Huye is a great display of the effect 1980s new wave had on the Puerto Rican community and how it has influenced artists in the field of electronic music. Furthermore, it is a project that shows how this sound, though it can be danceable and relaxing at times, can also be introspective and thought provoking. In short, Nutopia’s latest release is a fantastic step forward for the already growing electronic music scene in the island making it a definite listen for fans and those looking for something to make them dance and reflect.

Listen to Huye on Spotify

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.