This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Puerto Rican rapper Alvarito Diaz, has recently had a bit of an explosion in the Puerto Rican independent music and Latin-urban music scenes after releasing his project San Juan Grand Prix in 2016 and a few singles in 2017. The artist and self proclaimed “Chief Citizen” of the Lv Ciudvd creative group is certainly one of the artists to be on the lookout this year. His fellow Lv Ciudvd member Deborah Blues is one who has been slowly growing and demonstrating that she, too, is one to be on the lookout for. As is demonstrated in her latest single “Horas.”

(picture of Deborah Blues by Alberto Fernz)

After having a fairly quiet 2017, Deborah Blues decided to release her single “Horas” nearing the end of the year. In the alternative R&B track, the singer-songwriter explores her sexual and erotic side by singing about how she “spends hours thinking” about her love interest and how she would always be there for said person. She also goes on to sing about how she might deliver some of the best sexual experiences to her lover, one who makes her feel “butterflies below her belly.” Produced by Pain Digital, “Horas” is a great laid-back R&B track that would perfectly fit into anybody’s late-night playlists, and the hypnotizing saxophone solo at the end further reinforces that. The track demonstrates how Blues is ready to at least make an EP, or perhaps, an album if she focuses on making a longer project.

(cover art for “Horas” by Alberto Fernz)

Although the tune is a great addition to anyone’s alternative R&B playlists, it does suffer a bit. Some might enjoy autotune, but I don’treally find it very appealing. Thus, the few times it is used to bring a higher pitch to Blues’ vocals seems a bit unnecessary, as she seems to be in full control of the track without them. However, this is not a huge flaw, as “Horas” can be thoroughly enjoyed if one dismisses the few instances where the autotune is used.

With Horas, Puerto Rican R&B singer Deborah Blues shows growth by expanding her lyrical content, demonstrating her vocal abilities and great choice in music production. Although the track does have a miniscule flaw, it does show how the Lv Ciudvd member has the ability to deliver a project in the future. Hopefully by the end of the year she will deliver at least an EP or a few singles, where she can continue to provide artistic evolution and promise of a long project in a not so distant future.

Listen to the song on Spotify here

Listen to the song on YouTube here

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.