This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

This goes to you, the one sitting alone at lunch. The one waiting for someone who just isn’t going to show up or the one who awaits that text that will never come. This goes to you, who felt invisible in those crowded stairs, and the one who hid in the bathroom to avoid being seen crying in public.

This goes to all those promises you made to yourself and didn’t keep. To all those ideas and dreams that never happened, to all the times you forgot who you were, and for the one that still doesn’t know who they are supposed to be.

You already got used to not being happy, to not being sad; you are used to just existing. You have started to live your life as this endless routine, thinking you won’t be able to ever come out of it, for it feels like there’s no escape. But there’s something you should know:

You are not alone. You are not the only one feeling this way. In fact most of us are, including myself. We all live with the expectation of getting better, yet don’t really seem to. We have this unrealistic goal of being happy, but in reality happiness is a state of mind. Happiness consists of those moments when we smile genuinely, when we realize that we have everything we need right there, in that exact moment. And we all want those moments, so you are not alone.

Unfortunately, our negativity doesn’t allow us to experience these moments at its best. Those moments pass by and we don’t even notice. Where have we been? I’ll tell you where: we have been too worried about escaping our routine, when in reality it’s exactly where we should be, for it is what we are meant to be doing.

Life isn’t something we have to run from, it’s something we modify until we feel comfortable. This routine may not have an escape button, but it sure does have others that we can push on and off to create who we want to become and how we want our life to be. We have all the freedom in the world to reach the state of mind we all aspire to have, yet we are too busy complaining about everything that goes wrong.

This is my promise to you. I promise it gets better and you won’t be in this pause forever. I promise you didn’t stumble upon this for no reason. No one shows you how to be strong, yet they expect you to. No one ever tells you how to do things right and how to keep going, yet I promise that you are strong, and you are going exactly where you should be heading.

My promise to you is bigger than any promise I have ever made to myself. I promise you are doing great, and that the world has been prepared and waiting with open arms for you, because you will do wonderful things. You may not be able to see how amazing you are at the moment, but I pinky promise we all see it.

Take your time to explore yourself and get to know every part of yourself. Take your time to realize that you don’t have to wait for those moments of happiness, because the moment is now.

This goes to you, because you are the moment.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.