The funding of our future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

If you have been living under your books, you may not know that the University of Puerto Rico was granted once again with the National Science Foundation (NSF) funds. The agency halted funds in April 2012 and this without a doubt had our college community fearful that they could not go on with their research.

If you are asking yourself why this funding is important, take a look around you, everything that is connected to a power supply can be traced back to a scientist or an engineer.  According to the National Science Foundation:  “With an annual budget of about $7.0 billion (FY 2012), we are the funding source for approximately 20 percent of all federally supported basic research conducted by America’s colleges and universities. In many fields such as mathematics, computer science and the social sciences, NSF is the major source of federal backing.”

In an effort to continue the institution’s current research, the UPRM academic community finally took measures concerning the NSF’s decision to suspend our funding. Tenured professors such as, Félix Fernández Sánchez, an influential figure of our physics department who along his career has participated in numerous research held by several federal agencies. He also has participated in the peer reviewing process of certain proposals for the NSF and programs inside University of Puerto Rico. Nevertheless, Fernández Sánchez, who was greatly concerned with the situation, took from his time to sit down and write a letter best know as, Ponencia en torno a la suspension del Recinto Universitario de Mayagüez y de Administración Central/Centro de Recursos para Ciencias e Ingeniería por parte de la National Sciencie Foundation, in order to communicate his ideas and suggestions on the matter to the UPR community.

In addition, concerned UPRM students orchestrated a march to raise awareness of the current problem and make sure their voices were heard. 

The purpose of the march was clearly stated in the Mensaje ofrecido en la marcha, where students stated: 

“ Les exigimos que, como líderes universitarios, permitan que una nueva administración, con distintas estrategias, restablezca la relación con NSF y pueda obtener tiempo adicional para que nuestra Universidad cumpla a cabalidad con la transparencia y los procedimientos fiscales que le han sido requeridos. Solo así recuperaremos la credibilidad y reputación” 

We should  be grateful for those professors, students and leaders who were involved; who persisted and persevered to get back our credibility. If you want to become more engrossed about NSF funds and numerous actions taken to keep the funds do not hesitate and check out NSF Cap Report and Carta de NSF

Hi! My name is Juvell Burris I am originally from Charlotte, North Carolina. However, I have been raised all my life in Puerto Rico. Currently, I am an undergraduate student in the University of Puerto Rico in Mayagüez under the bachelors of Industrial Microbiology. Even though my passion for math and science predominates everyday my main goal is to discover new potentials I can approach.