From my Playlist to Yours: Songs to Enhance Your Autumn Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The air is getting chilly and the forecast calls for gloomy evenings, warm tones, comfy sweaters, and lots of pumpkin spice. It’s finally autumn, and if you’re like me, this means staying up late, wrapped up in the coziest blankets with scented candles, reading fall inspired books (or studying) with my best autumn playlists in the background. Unfortunately, making playlists takes a long time, and it gets more difficult when you’re a student, getting ready for all the homework and exams. But, fear not, that’s why this article is here. If you’re looking for the perfect songs to add to your tracklist, take a look at this selection. These are some of my favorite songs from my fall-inspired playlist.

• “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None The Richer

Coming in first place is what I consider to be the autumn classic. This song is perfect if you want to channel your inner Gilmore girl. Listening to it makes you feel like getting up in the morning and getting out of the house in the most chic fall outfit and boots. The weather is chilly but you’re wearing your coziest sweater, so it’s not a bother. Everything is yellow with orange undertones as you’re walking through the autumn leaf-covered sidewalks.

• “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star

This one is another classic. In this song, the artists talk about the spiral that is falling, and eventually losing yourself in the person you love. At first glance it’s a beautiful song, but there’s a hint of darkness to it that can go unnoticed. This dark aspect of the song is what categorizes it, into my understanding, of what a fall song is. Despite the dark lyrics, it’s the perfect song to dance to with a special someone, all wrapped up in each other’s embrace.

• “Cough Syrup” by Young the Giant (or the Glee cover)

Whether it’s the Glee cover or the original, this song is good if you’re looking for a gloomy and/or a more rock-styled sound for the season. Whenever I listen to it, I picture someone setting themself free; someone running through empty sidewalks with street lights on in the background, illuminating the already bright lilac sky. This is a song that could be featured in a coming-of-age film.

Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS
  • “Meet Me in the Hallway” by Harry Styles

The instrumentals of this song are perfect for the season. The mix of that and the background vocals of the chorus is what makes this song qualify in this list. It’s soft and calm at the start, yet anxious and desperate as it finishes. Harry Styles did an amazing job with this one. 

• “Not Strong Enough” by boygenius (Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus)

If we’re on the same side of TikTok, chances are you’ve probably already heard snippets of this masterpiece. I’m fully convinced that boygenius crafted this song specifically for the season. If you’re looking for a song to accompany your early morning walks, this one is it.

• “Motion Sickness” by Phoebe Bridgers

I’ve only recently discovered the musical genius that is Phoebe Bridgers, and it’s all thanks to this song. This is another one in which everything, from the lyrics to the sound, radiates the freshness of fall mornings. 

• “Everywhere” by Fleetwood Mac

“Everywhere” is another song from this list that could be in an indie coming-of-age movie. The instrumentals are exceptionally beautiful and the lyrics are an insanely accurate description of what it’s like to be crushing on someone.

• “Wake Me” by Bleachers

The band released this song back in 2014 in their studio album, “Strange Desire”. It’s a darling love song, filled with reassurance and endearment. I decided to include it in this selection because when I listen to it, I imagine going to pumpkin patches with a loved one. It’s that same feeling of being cozied up on chilly afternoons.

• “Paper Houses” by Niall Horan

Niall Horan has mastered the heart-wrenching ways of crafting a song, and this one is no exception. “Paper Houses” is for the sad autumn girlies. If you’re going through a breakup, or if you simply want to wallow, this song is for you. Light up a candle and let yourself feel the rhythm and harmonies of Niall Horan.

• “Always Forever” by Cults

If you’re not in the mood for melancholia, here’s a more lighthearted, joyful song. It’s hard to find cheery love songs that encapsulate that distinctive fall feeling, yet this one does exactly that.

• “Apple Pie” by Lizzie McAlpine

When the sad autumn girlies meet the lover girlies, you get this song. Feeling alone can be very typical of the season. Lizzie sings about this feeling: the anxiety-ridden sentiments of being alone, sad, and lost in one’s own presence. She also sings about that one person who helps her out of that loophole of emotions, and brings her comfort and stability. She compares it to the feeling of warm, home-baked apple pie. It’s the most authentic of feelings for the season, if I do say so myself.

• “Linger” by The Cranberries

The Cranberries is always a good option for any playlist, especially ones that are autumn or winter themed. Lyrically, this song is the opposite of Lizzie McAlpine’s “Apple Pie”. It starts with the hopelessness of falling for someone; once you’re there, it’s hard to get out, it’s painful and despairing. This feeling is only augmented when the person moved on long before you did. These downhearted feelings are encompassed throughout the song with the most beautiful instrumentals as the background. It’s an achingly beautiful piece, perfect for the season.

• “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift

I could not make a list of the perfect songs for autumn and not include Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well”. Whether it’s the ‘normal’ 5 minute version, or the 10 minute version, this song describes every single aspect of the season. It’s the early mornings and the late nights, the loneliness and the despair. It’s the hot lattes and the chilly afternoons, the warm colors and the fallen leaves, the red scarves and the broken promises. It’s magical and it’s real all at the same time, it’s everything you could ask for. It’s the perfect song for the perfect time of year.

Honorable Mentions:

• Taylor Swift’s “RED (Taylor’s Version)” album
  • The View Between Villages” by Noah Kahan (or anything from his “Stick Season” album)
  • There She Goes” by The La’s
  • Flicker” by Niall Horan
  • Cherry” by Harry Styles
  • Dreams” by The Cranberries
  • Tiebreaker” by The Head And The Heart
  • The Joker and the Queen” by Ed Sheeran featuring Taylor Swift
  • Fire and the Flood” by Vance Joy
Carolina A. Morales Ramírez is part of the social media team at the Her Campus UPRM chapter. She is currently a third year undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Biology, with hopes of later branching out to Medical or Law studies. As for her duties at Her Campus, Carolina loves bringing her creativity and hobbies into her designs & work for her chapter. Her love for music, crafts, and pop culture is reflected in all of her work. Besides crafting content for Her Campus, Carolina loves to bake, design, spend time with friends, sing, and listen to new music. She dreams of making herself proud with her career by helping the people around her.