This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Brace yourself, Colegiales, for another Campus Cutie that will simply star struck you. Your idea of a typical blonde haired, hazel-eyed, body-building campus crush has just stepped up a notch and is anything but ordinary. Behind this campus cuties’ good looks and sweet smile lies his warm heart and his affinity for adventure, knowledge, and… politics!!! Bet you didn’t see that coming. Meet the future legislator, Ian Faccio [heart eyes]

Name: Ian Faccio

Age: 21

Year: 4th Year

Major: CISO (Concentration on Political Science) Minor in International Relations

Hometown: Caguas, P.R.

Relationship Status: Taken

HC: How did you choose your major?

Ian: I am passionate about what I study. I can’t see myself studying anything else. I took a political science elective in my senior year in high school and instantly fell in love with it.

HC: What are your hobbies?

Ian: I enjoy reading books and the news, it is important to stay tuned on current political events. Other than that, I love to exercise. I think it’s very important to stay active because not only does it keep you healthy, but it also helps you let off some steam; it’s very therapeutic for me.

HC: What are your goals?

Ian: After I graduate from El Colegio I plan to attend law school, and afterwards have my own firm. Yet, my ultimate professional goal is to become a legislator.

HC: Rumor has it you played soccer for a while. What did you enjoy the most about it?

Ian: I guess I enjoyed the feeling it gave me. Playing with my friends, having my whole family there to support me. The emotion of winning was amazing, and whenever we lost, the team and family members would always keep encouraging and supporting each other. It was also a way to express myself, I would go out there and give it my best.  Soccer really expanded my horizons as well. For two consecutive summers, I had the opportunity to travel to Miami and participate in a soccer camp. There I met so many people from so many different cultures, but mostly Latin Americans. After that, I didn’t continue traveling to play. I was a part of a soccer club in Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, I was an injury magnet. I was prone to lesions, and it was best to put it aside for the sake of my physical health. In the end, I learned many valuable things from soccer that can help me get through any situation such as working my hardest, staying positive, and making a habit out of practicing for everything.

HC: What do you like the most about el Colegio?

Ian: This place is otra cosa. I love the diversity of cultures and students. You’ll meet people from across the island and sometimes you’ll meet people from other countries and you learn a lot from them. I am fascinated by how different we all are and how well we all get along.

HC: What is something crazy you’ve always dreamed of doing?

Ian: Okay! Yes! I love adventuring! I’ve always wanted to skydive. Something extreme I’ve already done is hike a glacier in Norway’ and also hike Pulpit Rock, one of the mountains that forms the chain of mountains called Fjords in Norway.

HC: Youve mentioned quite a lot of places youve been to. Tell us more about where youve traveled. 

Ian: Last semester I studied abroad in Madrid, and it was a life-changing experience. While there, I visited 13 countries and 25 cities throughout Europe. My favorites were Denmark, Sweden and Germany. Traveling expands your horizons and helps you see the world as it really is. As a politics’ student it is fascinating, because you see how other governments’ systems actually work, beyond the theory yo learn on the classroom. You learn to appreciate the good in your own system as well as learning what could be improved. For example, I think in Puerto Rico we could improve our public policy significantly. But in the end, no goverment is perfect, they all have good things and bad things. Travelling helps you empathize with people that live in a different country but have the same problems  you do at your own. Being away from home for seven months made me realize how special and beautiful Puerto Rico is. 

HC: If you had the power to change one thing in Puerto Rico, what would it be?

Ian: Basing my thoughts on what I study, I would like to change the way we puertorricans see ourselves. We tend to complain a lot, and point out everything that is going wrong instead of trying to make a difference ourselves. If we change our perspective of ourselves and realize all the potential that we have and that our beautiful island has, things can get better.

Fianeli is a full-time industrial engineering student and blogger. She loves a good adventure, alternative bands, and spending quality time with her friends and boyfriend. Studying over 100 miles away from her home has given her the opportunity to explore the island, break away from her comfort zone and meet new people with the hopes of finding herself along the way. A shopping enthusiast, artsy, terrible cook, and animal lover who wants nothing more than to leave a positive mark on the lives of others.
Her Campus at UPRM