This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

I’ve always been obsessed with finding different coffee shops wherever I go. One day on campus, a friend decided to invite me to El Loveshack, located in Calle Vicente, Mayagüez. As soon as you enter the doors you know the concept is very different from any other coffee shop which is their entire point, as their focus is coffee and the arts.

Something that caught my attention is how they have their very own signature coffee drinks. I personally recommend both “el mayawest” and “el kronico.” Another idea I really enjoyed is  that while I waited for my order to come in, the tables had sheets of paper torn from different books and a hand full of black sharpie markers. The idea is to be creative and do blackout poetry. This is a super cool way to craft poetry where you erase a few words of an existing page of a book and find new and personal meaning in it, making it your own. I fell in love with this concept, and this has become my new obsession, as they allow you to hang your masterpiece wherever you choose.

El Loveshack hosts different activities in collaboration with Betances 100 Sur & Galería and MayaWest Dance Project. I had the chance to have a small chat with the owner Enrique Betancourt, who is an alumni at UPRM. His main focus is coffee and art, which is why they’re always promoting artistic events. They even host different art expos and open mic nights.

If you’re ever in Mayagüez and want a change of scenery, I highly recommend this coffee shop. The whole atmosphere is simply amazing, and the people are super nice and friendly. It seriously became my favorite place and coffee shop to be in, as it’s a place where you can simply express yourself.  

Check out their social media for their hours & future events!

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/elloveshack/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/loveshackpr/

Currently an undergraduate at UPRM, english major. My life is an open book so I enjoy allowing others to read me. It's my way of telling a stranger that even if they don't know me, they can relate to what is ever going on in their lives. I am one part anxiety, half uncertainty and the other half curiosity. I laugh at almost everything, obsessed with pineapples and in love with photography. I am all about simplicity and I only function with caffeine.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.