Drum Major Cutie: Georgianne Matos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Meet this week campus cutie, Georgianne Matos Albino, a true leader and an aspiring agronomist with a special concern for nature, who you’ve probably seen marching around campus. Scroll down to know more about her!

Name: Georgianne Matos Albino

Hometown: Guayanilla          

Major: Animal Science

Age: 24

Relationship Status: Single

Tell us about a weird/peculiar experience that you have had at Colegio.

I would have to say all the falls that I have had at Colegio. One of the times, I broke my meniscus and I ended up in the operation room. There’s no doubt I will graduate for sure!

What are your hobbies?

I love to roadtrip here in my beautiful island. I like to take the car and drive without a destiny, just to know new places. Mostly because I like to do everything that involves having contact with nature. If there’s no time, a good movie and a bottle of wine will do. 

What has been the most significant experience you’ve gained at UPRM?

Definitely being a member of the marching band. I have gained a lot of friends that I’m sure will be there for the rest of my life. It’s an enriching experience that I would recommend any student (who has the talent to play an instrument or to dance in case of las abanderadas) to be part of. When the time comes for me to graduate, I know I will miss every single moment I’ve had at the Band and Orchestra Department.

What does it mean to be the drum major of a centenarian marching band?

It’s one of the best experiences of my life. Every day I learn something new; I can also see the growth as a leader increasing. The emotion and enthusiasm that we see in the students at their graduation when we play Colegio’s hymn, is something that only a member of the band can describe. It’s an enormous privilege to be a member of this centenarian marching band, but it’s even a greater honor to direct this talented group of students. We’re a big family of musicians and abanderadas, and I hope it can stay that way for many years to come.

How do you balance school, band and going out?

Wow, this is a difficult question and I know that a lot of band members are in the same position I am. It’s extremely difficult to maintain a social healthy life when you have a heavy academic load and countless band rehearsals, especially for the Justas semester, but, somehow we manage to do it.

What is your goal in life?

My goal is to be an agronomist and to be able to contribute to the preservation of the natural recourses and animals that are endangered. I consider it’s time to create consciousness in every community about this, because we need to maintain our environment healthy. We only have one planet to live in; we cannot destroy our own home.

What would you say is the most important aspect of a person’s life?

I would say family is the most important aspect in one’s life. It should be your base and your point of reference in everything. Thanks to God, I’ve had the privilege of having the unconditional support of my family and I know that thanks to that, I have obtained a lot of success in the goals I’ve chosen to pursue.

*Photo credit to Omar Montalvo

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.