Carlos Fajardo’s Posthumous Homage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Last week, on Thursday, December 14, the community of the Humanities and Art Department came together to celebrate the life of Carlos Fajardo, a man who taught them, shared knowledge and stories with, and created amazing art. The art exhibit took place in the Chardón Gallery, which contained 43 pieces of art, including paintings and sculptures made by students and friends in honor of the maestro. These included pieces made by Susan Olivera, Antonio Martorell, Teo Freytes, Anabel de Jesús, John Henry Ramos, Alex Rivera, among others. The event  was hosted by the professors, Baruch Vergara and Claudia Torres – Guillemart, who belong to the University Artistic Creativity Workshop, better known as TACU. In honor of the late professor, students took the mic to tell stories about Carlos Fajardo.

Carlos Fajardo was an artist first and foremost, and a professor who challenged his students and pushed them out of their comfort zones with their art. In the words of Baruch Vergara, “Irony saved him from the depression he perceived” in the world. Vergara continued saying how Carlos mocked the world and reflected his charismatic and ironic personality through his art. At one point, Prof. Claudia Torres read aloud a letter written by Carlos’s daughter, who was unable to attend the activity. She was very emphatic about the fact that she would never forget her father and that, like everyone else that night, she was thankful for all that he did and taught.

Here are some of the pieces of art that were exhibited that night, and will continue to be exhibited until January 19, 2018.  

Entrance of the Gallery.     From left to right: “El Pintor” by Iremar Fernández; “Carlos Fajardo: El Provocador” y Jorge Bobonis and “Untitled” by Ashley Santiago.

From left to right: “Carlos Fajardo” by John Henry Ramos, “Carlos y Flamingos” by Susan Olivera and “Untitled” by Laiza González.

Top to bottom: “Untitled” by Carolina Roman and “En Honor de Carlos Fajardo” by Lyan Santiago.  

Las Leyendas Nunca Mueren” by Adelianne Rodríguez

Top to bottom: “A-Cola-Yes!” by Nahomi Molina and “Untitled” by Tinaiviz Gutierrez.

CARLOSFAJARDO” by Elsa María Meléndez

Cariduro” by Antonio Martorell

Left to right: “Mis Pájaros También Disfrutaron al Maestro” by Fernando Santiago, “Untitled” by Sebastián Ortiz (top right) and “Untitiled” by Anabel de Jesús.

Untitled” by Jocelyn Acevedo  

By Claudia Torres-Guillemart

Astiado: Retrato de Carlos Fajardo” by Teo Freytes

Carlos Fajardo’s mother by Laura Rodríguez

Carlos Fajardo’s altar, customary of the Dia de Los Muertos a Mexican custom Fajardo liked.

Retrato” by Rafael Trelles

Padre, hijo y espíritu santo” by Baruch Vergara  

Flores para mi amigo” by Félix Zapata  

Remember to look up as well!

The art exhibit will be open at the Chardón Gallery until January 19, 2018.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.