CAAMpus Cutie Graduate’s Edition: Roxana Pérez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

She is a talented athlete and a brilliant scientist, but what makes her stand out is her outgoing personality and natural beauty. Her tall, fit body and her flirtatious confidence doesn’t let her go unnoticed. A gymnast since age four, she represented our Colegio at Las Justas as part of the swimming team. Meet this week’s CAAMpus Cutie: 

Name: Roxana Mariel Pérez Burgos

Age: 26

Major: M.S. Food Science and Technology 

Year of Study: Senior

Hometown: Coamo, PR

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius 

Relationship Status: Single

1. Describe yourself in three words:

Happy, outgoing, adventurous

2. What do you love the most about being a graduate student? The least?

I love to teach the undergrad students as well as learning more about the field in the process. Yet, as much as I love teaching, assessing student’s homework and tests is not my favorite part of the job (laughs).  

3. What passionates you the most about science?

The mystery, in science nothing is certain, there is always something new to learn and explore.

4. How will your research project help in the advancement of science?

I am working on creating a healthy, alternative drink for children using the byproduct of the cheese industry, the acid whey. With my research I’m helping to solve environmental problems (using a material that would otherwise become a waste) and fighting childhood obesity. Acid whey contains proteins, minerals and vitamins with high biological quality. My advisor and I have proposed to develop a beverage with high nutritional content, made with fruits and natural ingredients as a healthy alternative compared to the drinks that are currently on the market. 

5. When did you realized you wanted to pursue graduate studies?

When I took the Food Microbiology class as an undergrad professional elective. I fell in love with the class, which lead me to take the dairy products course as well. Then, I completed the curricular sequence in Food Science and Technology and since then aimed to pursue my Master’s degree in the same field.

6. What advice will you give to a student that aspires to graduate school in a future?

I would tell them not to hurry to go to work, to continue studying. These are the most precious years of life. Take every opportunity you have to do internships and get involved in extracurricular activities. Enjoy every moment!

7. Where do you see yourself ten years from now?

I see myself working, maybe with a family. Also I see myself traveling and most importantly, being happy!

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.