CAAMpus Cutie: An Artist with a Free Soul, Paulo Rodríguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

This week’s CAAMpus cutie is every girl’s dream. From his handsome style and his charming smile to the super creative pieces of art that flow from his heart, this Teatrumita totally captures your attention when walking around campus. His stage presence is magestic…it makes you want to see more and more from him in every play. Oh, and I forgot to mention, he writes poetry too. In love already? 

Full Name: Paulo Alejandro Rodríguez Aponte

Age: 18

Major: Estudios Hispánicos/Mercadeo

Year of study: 2nd year

Hometown: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Relationship status: Eextremely complicated

HC: Describe yourself in three words:

Paulo: Passionate, an extrovert and a free soul.

HC: What motivated you to join TeatRUM?

Paulo: I’ve always been the loud one since I was a little boy and I was always participating on school’s talent shows either dancing or singing. The teachers always asked me to talk in front of big crowds, in games, if we were making a prayer they always picked me. And, even though I was always the guy singing and dancing, and talking in front of big crowds in school, I had never tried acting. So, when I was a freshman and went to Show de Prepas (and I witnessed this moment) a guy from the group asked if anybody wanted to go up on stage and I jumped out of the crowd, and that’s how it all started.   

The people loved him, everyone was laughing and you could feel the good energy coming from the people in the crowd. He says that immediately the president of the group asked him to join TeatRUM and so he did.

HC: What’s your favorite part about acting?

Paulo: I definitely love the feedback I receive from the crowd. One of the things that I love is that I can make people laugh spontaneously without being mean. The same thing happens when I write poems. Every time someone comes to me and tells me how certain poem has made an impact on his/her life it makes me feel very happy and satisfied.   

HC: So, you write poems too… tell me more.

Paulo: I always liked to write poems but when I was in high school I had my heart broken by some girl and that made me kind of hate romantic poetry. Now I mostly write about what happens in my life and when I got here I started experiencing new things which inspired me a lot. I think that when I write poems I can put into words what other people can’t. “What I know is what I write”.

HC: Who would you say is your muse?

Paulo: I don’t have a specific person to call my muse because it depends on what is it that I want to say. I could feel inspired by anyone that captures my attention and that makes me feel different things. Right now I could feel inspired by you and go home and write something about you.

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

Paulo: I want a girl that complements me, not just a body, but a girl that has the conscience, the capacity, but mostly the substance to be with me. I want someone that I can talk to and not get tired of her.

HC: Describe your perfect date:

Paulo: “Netflix and chill” just kidding!!! We are students and I think that we should not be spending a lot of money, which brings me to my perfect date. I would love to just have a night with a bottle of wine, making food and just talk about life.

HC: Do you have any other hobbies?

Paulo: I’m a kid at heart and I love to watch cartoons, play video games and definitely drink coffee any time I can.

HC: What is your motto in life?

Paulo: A quote from my favorite poet Omar Iloy, “Porque a mí me fluye escribir poesía, y yo moriré haciendo arte”. Life is art and I want to inspire people, that is why I’m studying Spanish. I don’t care if people say that I’m going to be a poor man! I want to teach young people what life is all about and that people mention my name as a positive role model for them.

HC: How do you see yourself in 10 years?

Paulo: In my professional life I see myself as a professor. Personally, more control of my life. To be absolutely happy with everything I have and dedicated my future to.