CAAMpus Celebrity: From UPRM to Yale, Rocío del Mar Saavedra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

To receive the Gran premio Luis Stefani Raffucci is the goal of every Colegial that pursues excellence. Last May, during the commencement ceremony, just nine out of more than 1,600 students that graduated were deserving of this distinctive honor. The requirement to win this award is literally a perfect academic record: 4.0 GPA and no withdrawals. Rocío del Mar, was one of the nueve fantásicos (as denominated by Prensa RUM) to win the Stefani. Because of this recognition, as well as her many other personal and academic achievemets, we are honored to introduce this week’s CAAMpus Celebrity.

Name: Rocío del Mar Saavedra Peña

Age: 21 

Major: Biology Alumni, Class of 2015

Hometown: San Sebastián, Puerto Rico 

Raised in a small but lovely household, she is the middle child of three siblings. Her mom is a retired math teacher and her dad a Colegial engineer. Since an early age they taught her the importance of having a good education. Her musical vein runs from her dad’s side, who thought Rocío and her siblings to play musical instrument and to sing- a talent she further developed by joining the UPRM Choir and Chorium. “Overall, my family taught me and my siblings to strive for what we want, to serve others with humbleness, and most importantly to have fun along the way.” 

HC: How are you different now from when you first got to UPRM? Did your goals and dreams changed along the way? How?

Rocío: I am miles away from that freshman I was four years ago! I can sum it up by saying that I am a much more confident woman. I used to be very quiet outside my comfort zone; it matter a lot what other people thought of me, so I was constantly thriving to please others, even if my authenticity was at stake. It was hard to say “no”. During these 4 years, every experience helped me become more confident, freer, and truer to myself. Along the way, my academic and personal goals started to change. I took a chance on new things and I found a new dream-research.

HC: What UPRM experience shaped your career path?

Rocío: My lifelong dream was to become a medical doctor, and I was extremely focused on that. But once I got the opportunity to work in different research labs, at UPRM and other universities (summer internship at UCSF) my plans changed completely. Learning to do research, surviving brutal lab meetings, to love and hate research at the same time– all these experiences gave me the tools I needed to shape my future into getting a Ph.D. in molecular biology instead.

HC: What is the most valuable lesson you have learned at UPRM?

Rocío: I learned that the most important thing to get through life is to surround yourself with good people. I would’ve never survived my years in college without the great support system I had in Mayagüez. Old friends, classmates, my awesome lab mates and BBB family, they all helped me get through the rough patches and made me see UPRM as my home.

HC: As a woman, working on a field dominated by man, have you ever felt that your gender has hindered you or instead, helped you achieve what you expect as a scientist? 

Rocío: I try not to think of myself as a “woman in science” but rather as just as a scientist. Yet, somehow, in every conference, application process or interview I’m reminded that I am not just a scientist, but that I am a young, female scientist. There is really no difference between a young female scientist and male scientist; but unfortunately society- and some misogynistic scientist I’ve encountered- think there is a difference. As feminists it’s our job to change that. Yes, sometimes I’ve had to work harder than fellow male peers to get the same respect from a P.I. or a mentor, but that has only helped me become a better scientist. My gender has only hindered me in my credibility, not in my actual skills. I have hopes that this new generations of young scientist can eliminate that absurd gender remark barriers for good.  

HC: Whom is your role model and why he/she inspires you? (Famous or non-famous, live or dead)

Rocío: May I say Olivia Pope? (laugh). In terms of my career, Marie Curie. Can you imagine being a female scientist in the 19th century? How incredibly talented and hardworking she must’ve been to be the first person recognized with 2 Nobel prizes for her work in science! Her strive and selflessness are qualities of her I’ve always tried to emulate as a scientist. But before her, I had a role model who taught me everything I needed to know about everything, my big sister. She is my best friend, my counselor, my make-up artist and personal stylist. Every day I try to be a little more like her. I’ve always admired her wisdom towards me, her many talents and her beautiful soul. She will always be the person I look up to and go to when life gets a little rough. 

HC: Where do you see yourself ten years from now?

Rocío: Hopefully, not still doing my Ph.D.! I see myself happy. I don’t know if I’ll have a family, or if I’ll be traveling, working in industry, teaching, completely dedicated to charity, I have no idea. I’ve learned that life is a constant change, so I try not to make a mental picture on what I want to be doing in 10 years because that can change depending on where I am in life. I just picture myself happy- wherever I am. 

HC: Describe in detail how you felt the moment you received the award. Was it a life changing experience? Did you expect it? What was the first thought that crossed your mind?

Rocío: I honestly have to say I did not expect the award, it felt surreal.I didn’t work hard for 4 years to be rewarded, I did it for myself and my family; the award was just a bonus. I’ve always wanted to make my family feel proud of me, so seeing them wooing and applauding me when I was up in the stage was definitely a moment I will never forget, it was worth all the hard work.

HC: If you could dedicate your award to ONE person, whom will it be and why?

Rocío: This is by far the toughest question on the mix…I have to say to my grandmother Gladys “Ata”. She is always very supportive of me and gives the best advice. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her love in my life. She’s also always nagging about how great her grandchildren are, so Ata: you are the coolest grandma out there! 

HC: What will be your advice to women that are starting a career in science and that aspire to accomplish what you have?

Rocío: The best advice I can give is to always stay true to your beliefs. There will be many occasions where your values and morals will be tested, maybe to do something the easy way or to prove you’re better than someone else. The only person you should be competing with is yourself. Always aim to better the person you where yesterday, no one else matters. Be honest and true to yourself, it will take you to places you could never imagine. Also, believe in yourself! If you’re in this path it’s because you can! 

Because  of her outstanding achievements, Rocío is heading toward Yale University this fall to pursue her Ph.D in molecular biology and continue her research on cancer. We wish her the best, knowing that her beautiful soul, noble heart and brilliant mind will shine wherever she goes. You are truly an orgullo Colegial! 

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.