This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Ever since we bought our very first trainer bras with our mommies, we’ve heard a lot of rumors about our hunka-hunka holders. One of the very first were that we should never wear bras to go to bed because we could get saggy boobs or, even worse, cancer. In the end, it all boils down to our own choice. Many articles and reports have been made for both options of whether or not to wear bras to bed. This is only the beginning of the bra controversy that simply does not want to be put to bed.

From not knowing the right size and feeling uncomfortable walking around all day because we bought the wrong size bra to having the underwire pop out and try to kill you, these simple contraptions bother us more than boys when they fruitlessly try to take them off. In a recent video published by Viral Thread on Facebook, the results of a poll made, where 330 women participated in a 15-year study at the University Hospital in France, were published. These results exposed the truth of bras: they really do nothing for boob sagging, back pain, or support! In reality, bras lower collagen levels and overall elasticity by reducing blood flow.

To bring some context into this, I created a poll where 206 women participated, where they chose among a given list of options about their bra-wearing preferences. Firstly, 36.4% had a big chest and 63.6% had a small or moderate chest. The next question asked caused a bit of trouble: “Depending on your chest size, do your prefer/enjoy using bras?” A majority of 55% answered a resounding “No”, a 31.2% enjoy using them, and a 9.4% prefer using them because of health issues. Small percentages simply answered “yes,” that it depended on their “mood,” and others answered that it depended if they’ve “been wearing a bra or not the entire day.”

The next question was about if wearing a bra on a regular college day made life easier or if it actually caused more pains. To this, a 60.7% wished they didn’t have to use them at all and a 39.3% need their bra. Among these 206 participants, 46.1% use their bra sometimes; 53.9% use them, always. When it comes down to it: “To bra or not to bra?” is the question that each woman decides for herself. As a last question, a blank space was provided to the poll participants to write any additional comments. Some of these which shed some light into real-life women’s opinions were:

“Bras are necessary, but a break from them is good once in a while.”

“I am a 38 DDD. Not using a bra is out of the question. Bras can be comfortable and nice, but the biggest issue, pun intended, is their price…bras are pretty much a necessity for women with large breasts.”

“FREE THE NIPPLE”

“I prefer using bralettes! They’re provide great coverage and support but with minimal discomfort.”

“I love bralettes.”

“I use my bra because I don’t what to be a sexual figure for men, but if the nipples didn’t show on my shirt I wouldn’t wear my bra.”

“The bra design is uncomfortable at times. Yes, it serves the purpose of holding my breasts up. But it also causes stress to my shoulders and back. It also doesn’t help my comfort level when the bra straps decide to slide down and be free. Oh, and forget about pretty bras for busty girls. That is, unless you want to spend that month’s rent on them. All-in-all, I prefer the bras of today to the corsets of yesteryear, but would much rather society not care whether I wear one or not. As for the sexualization of boobs? Well, that is a whole other rant right there.”

“Strapless bras are the work of satan. Bralettes are super comfy and I have to come to enjoy them more and more. Also many bralettes don’t have any padding so like the natural shape of your boobs is still visible and I know many women who don’t enjoy that but in my case, they have helped me feel more confident with my own body. I don’t particularly always feel comfortable going braless but bralettes have become a great compromise.”

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Her Campus at UPRM