The Best Signs From la Marcha Violeta and the Day Without Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By Ignangeli Salinas

This week, women all over the world went out to the streets to protest against gender discrimination and violence. They demanded equality in their diversity and the freedom to shape their own lives with their own choices. The women and men who participated in this week’s protests at UPRM were no exception.The Women’s Strike and the Marcha Violeta, held on March 8 and 9 respectively, had the support of many who used picketing, marching, chanting and posters as a means to express their frustrations, to reclaim their space and to show their solidarity. Here are some stunning posters of both events, which dig deep into the heart of the matter.

1. The Marcha Violeta is organized by Siempre Vivas, an organization dedicated to support women who have suffered domestic and sexual violence, and their children. The march’s motto:“ Solidarity is not discorced, it is practiced.”

2. A clear message of why women march.

3. It’s time to cut those invisible strings.

4. When you are trying to cross the street and they whistle and yell at you from their cars, it’s not ok, at all.

5. I think people should carry this one around.

6. Don’t you forget it.

7. When violence is involved, silence can be deadly.

8. The plus side is, you can always take them off.

10. Siempre Vivas, ready to wave that flag.

11. Abortion is a right in P.R., but it does not seem to be treated at such.

12. Flowers are nice. Equality is necessary.

13. On International Women’s Day, a one hour strike was held in front of the campuses main gate, La Vita. Women and men picketed around the street, stopping vehicles advance. Why? I think this poster says it all.

14. For those who wonder why there is a mob of women marching and chanting in their campus, this sign exists.

Her Campus at UPRM
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.