alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Moments From Last Night’s Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

They aren’t exactly known for excitement, but this year’s 89th edition of the Academy Awards were the exception. From electrifying live performances by Justin Timberlake and John Legend, to Viola Davis’ emotional acceptance speech and that  epic mistake, here are the best moments from this year’s Oscars.

1. Justin Timberlake’s Opening Performance of the Oscar-nominated original song, “Can’t Stop the Feeling.”

2. When referring to President Donald Trump Jimmy Kimmel asked: “Remember last year when the Oscar’s were the racist ones?”

3. When Jimmy Kimmel jokingly pointed out Meryl Streep’s mediocre performances and she received an undeserved standing ovation for her 20th Oscar nomination.

4. When Mahershala Ali won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Moonlight.

5. All the actors who wore blue ribbons in support of the the American Civil Liberties Union, a national non-profit legal organization that defends individual liberties and rights.

6. When Catherine Johnson was welcomed onto the stage to honor her work as a physicist for NASA whose story was portrayed in the film Hidden Figures; it was also a tribute to the women from history whose stories have gone untold.

7. Lin Manuel Miranda and Auli’i Cravalho’s performance of “How Far I’ll Go.”

8. The stage at all times. It was breathtaking. Beautiful.

9. When Viola Davis was given the Oscar for best supporting actress and moved everyone with her words:

“I became an artist and thank God I did, because we are the only profession that celebrates life.”

10. When the legendary Shirley Maclaine walked on stage, alongside Charlize Theron, to present the Best Supporting Actress award.

11. The acceptance speech for Foreign Language Film Winner, The Salesman:

The speech was delivered by an Iranian scientist on behalf of the film’s director, Asghar Fahardi, who did not attend the ceremony in protest of Trump’s Muslim ban. In a written statement, he said:

“I’m sorry I’m not with you tonight. My absence is out of respect for the people of my country and those of other six nations whom have been disrespected by the inhumane law that bans entry of immigrants to the US. Dividing the world into the “us” and “our enemies” categories creates fear.”

12. Gael Garcia Bernal’s, who was a presenter, impromptu speech before presenting the awards for achievements in song and music.

“As a Mexican, as a Latin American, as migrant worker, as a human being, I am against any form of wall that wants to separate us.”

13. The tribute to Michael J. Fox and Back to the Future

14. The Oscar Winners of Documentary Short, The White Helmets, on the war in Syria:

“It’s very easy to forget this war is been going on for six years.”

15. John Legend’s performance of Best Original Song Oscar winner “City of Stars” and “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” from La La Land.

16. Sara Bareilles’ performance during the “In Memoriam” as Carrie Fisher’s picture, our princess Leia, flashed on screen.

17. This heartfelt speech by Oscar winners for Best Adapted Acreenplay, Moonlight.

“This goes out to all of those black and brown boys and girls and non-gender-conforming [people] who don’t see themselves. We’re trying to show them you and us. … This is for you.”

18. When Emma Stone won the Oscar for Actress in a Leading Role.

19. That moment when La La Land won Best Picture.

Oh wait, no. They read the wrong envelope. Moonlight won Best Picture.

And Ryan Goslin’s reaction. Pure gold.

Undergraduate psychology major with a passion for art. Loves traveling and spreading her creative spirit!
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.