This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Everyone can agree that the most awaited movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is Avengers: Infinity War. Many think this movie may be the end of Marvel’s Avengers Universe, but the reality is that Infinity War’s Sequel would be the end of the third phase. Before heading to the cinema to watch, what we hope will be, the movie of the century, take a few minutes to refresh your mind in order to have a better understanding of what could happen.

Since its debut in 2008, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has made a great boom and has impacted every one of its viewers. The franchise is produced by Marvel Studios and is centered on superhero films based on the characters that appear in the comic books published by the same franchise. Yet, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is divided into the following phases:

Phase I:

The first phase began in 2008 with the premiere of Iron Man and finished in with The Avengers in 2012. Its purpose was to establish a universe where the films will take place  to introduce the main characters of the franchise (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury, and Loki) and the organizations (S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA) that give life to the plot. During this phase, the main villain in Infinity War, Thanos, is presented in the after credits scene of The Avengers giving a hint of what will come. The movies that give life to this phase are:

1. Iron Man (2008)

2. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

3. Iron Man 2 (2010)

4. Thor (2011)

5. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

6. The Avengers (2012)

Phase II:

The second phase starts with the debut of Iron Man 3 in 2013, and ended with Ant-Man in 2015. Throughout this phase, the origin of the six Infinity Stones, space, mind, power, time, soul, and reality, are presented. It also introduces more characters such as Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Ant-Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. This phase allows the viewers to discover the growth of HYDRA within S.H.I.E.L.D. producing the agencies collapses.  **FUN FACT: In every movie of this phase, one character goes through the process of having their hand cut off as an homage to the second act of the Star Wars saga: The Empire Strikes Back.** The following movies give life to this phase:  

1. Iron Man 3 (2013)

2. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

4. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

6. Ant-Man (2015)

Phase III:

The third and last phase until now, opens with the release of Captain America: Civil War in 2016 and will conclude with an Avengers film in 2019 that’s ye to be named.  Rumor has it that if they release the name, it will spoil Infinity War. That’s why they haven’t said anything. There’s a hypothesis that it might be Infinity Gauntlet, which is a reboot of the universe. Just as the previous phases, more heroes are introduced: Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Mantis, Spider-Man, Valkyrie, and Captain Marvel. This phase allows Thanos’ plot about collecting the six Infinity Stones to be finalized and wreck the tension that has been building up since 2012. The movies that give life to this phase are:

1. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

2. Doctor Strange (2016)

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

5. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

6. Black Panther (2018)

7. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

8. *Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

9. *Captain Marvel (2019)

10. *Avenger 4 (which title is still unknown) (2019)

*Have not aired.

Avengers: Infinity War got us running to the cinema like:

Now you are ready and will be able to understand better the story behind Avengers: Infinity War. After seeing the movie, go ahead and tell us your thoughts by tagging us in your reviews about the movie through our social medias, your reaction about the movie may be featured in our next article. Hope you enjoy it!

In honor of my Marvel’s Superfan Little Brother: Luis Andres.

21 year-old passionate with the idea of becoming a Chemical Engineer and a Writer. In love with the beach, El Colegio and writing her way through history.   The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.  -Helen Keller
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.