AEDE Takes the Stage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

AEDE will be taking the stage on the nights of February 26th and 27th with their adaptation of Así Somos, a work by Roberto Ramos Perea.  This drama representation is intended to be a political criticism by the frequent use of its satire; situated  in a government environment in which you will see corruption and injustice to employees. The adaptation intends to represent social injustice to the student body in a way never before seen. If you haven’t had the opportunity to attend one of  their previous plays, now is your chance!

AEDE, Asociación de Estudiantes de Drama en la Educación was founded in 2010 by a group of students who had taken a theater course with Professor Noemí Maldonado. She is  their current advisor, who intends  to explore theater and drama with the formation of a drama club focused on education. Their purpose is to perpetuate the passion for theater and freely express dramatic arts in education while presenting classic works of art to the student body.  With an active participation of 25 members, they have been able to collaborate and participate in activities related to social criticism. Activities like  El Coloquio sobre la Violencia en Contra de la Mujer, an academic discussion on issues that affect women especially domestic violence and injustice in the work environment and El Coloquio del otro lao’ del Espejo which focused on different opinions about homosexuality and problems that are presented to these relationships whether it be by their own insecurities or those inflicted by the general public.

They’ve also accomplished to recreate classic works such as William Shakespeare’s Macbeth and theatrical compositions by Puerto Rican authors such as Viva la Pepa, El Gran Circo Eucraniano and El Olor del Popcorn, which were all well received by the the student body. One of their most popular plays is Un tranvía llamado deseo by Tennessee Williams which was presented in the Figueroa Chapel Amphitheater, Teatro Sol in San German, The Cultural Center of Mayagüez and The Manuel Gonzalez Izquierdo Theater in Lajas. It was with this play that they received a wave of crowd pleasing acceptance and the integration of new student members. Also, some of the members of AEDE had the wonderful opportunity of being in the theater adaptation of El Muerto, a novel written by Prof. Alfredo Morales Nieves.

Her Campus UPRM had the opportunity to speak with Adaluz Santos, president of AEDE, in which she expressed her appreciation for AEDE: “I decided to become a part of this group because I have an immense passion for theater and I feel like AEDE has helped me grow as a human being and as an actress. I also have been given the opportunity to share this experience with a select group of students who share the same passion that I do, while gaining discipline, empathy and perseverance on the way.” She ended our interview by sending a message out to all UPRM students: “ We complement your academic studies, as part of an association who excels at publicizing their work, you will have the opportunity to improve your public speaking skills; all while being in a learning environment.”  

Her Campus UPRM would like to give special thanks to Adaluz Santos and Angelica Orsini, both members of AEDE. 

All images were taken from AEDE’s Instagram and Facebook pages. 

Junior majoring in Biology, future ER physician. Born and raised in New York. Lover of baking, Beyoncé albums, family and everything pink!