A Review of Sabrina Carpenter’s “Fruitcake” Christmas EP 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Sabrina Carpenter released a Christmas EP titled “Fruitcake,” in which she managed to turn Christmas into something sexy, playful, funny, and bittersweet. The EP was just released on November 17, 2023, and it has quickly gained attention over social media, specifically on TikTok. 

Let’s review all the songs from the EP and highlight the best lyrics. 

A Nonsense Christmas

Last Year, Sabrina released a Christmas version of her popular song “Nonsense” called “A Nonsense Christmas.” The song blew up and shocked fans since it changed the lyrics into ones that were incredibly sexy and cheeky. 

Of course, this became the opening song of the EP. It has all the potential to turn into a Christmas classic. The wordplay in the lyrics is brilliant and hilarious.  

Best lyrics:

“Look at all those presents; that’s a big sack

Boy, that package is too big to gift wrap

Woke up this morning, and thought I’d write a “Christ-smash”

Buy Me Presents 

“Buy Me Presents” follows the same cheeky and sexy vibes from “A Nonsense Christmas.” It has a very light and festive look to it. Through the first part of the song, she expresses her need for attention and desires she has during Christmas. 

However, the best part comes in the second verse, where she describes Santa Claus differently than he is used to. Although she is describing Santa Claus, she is showing attraction towards him humorously and creatively. 

Best lyrics:

Hе’s a little bit older (Like super old)

Got a bit of a dad bod

From a city that’s colder

But damn’ it, he’s so hot”

Santa Doesn’t Know You Like I Do

With “Santa Doesn’t Know You Like I Do,” the mood and tone change into more of a soft and melancholic one. The lyrics express the longing for closeness to someone you love during the holidays. It is an honest confession and expression to her loved one.

Although the song is emotionally charged, it still offers creative Christmas references by comparing how she knows him better than Santa Claus. 

The song will be relatable to all those who are or have gone through a situation during the Holidays. It shows the vulnerability and honesty of longing for a relationship and love to be reciprocated. 

Best Lyrics:

“Santa

Doesn’t know you like I do

I know all of your favorite songs

Pick up each time you call

So why can’t I be the one

To give you everything you want?”

Cindy Lou Who

“Cindy Lou Who” is definitely the saddest and most heartbreaking song from the EP. It is written with such incredible vulnerability and honesty. The music is so soft and relaxing, and Sabrina’s vocals sound flawless. 

The song is being directed to her ex’s new partner, whom she calls Cindy Lou Who, a reference to the character from “The Grinch.” It reminded me of “Lacy” since she describes the new partner as beautiful, leading to feelings of jealousy for her having who she wants and being pretty. 

Best Lyrics:

“Maybe he met you somewhere in the desert

While he was soul-searchin’, he found someone better

Guess you make him happy like I couldn’t do

Cindy Lou Who”

Is it New Year yet?

The transition from “Cindy Lou Who” to “Is it New Year Yet?”  is phenomenal. You go from crying to getting into a catchy vibe. She sings about wanting New Year’s to arrive and finally let go of this year, it’s a reminder of spending it alone, and all the chaos and drama.

The lyrics are very relatable since, at one point or another, she sings about how everyone has felt like her during the holidays—especially the part where she sings about couples. 

Best Lyrics:

“Santa, Santa, boy, you’re the worst

It’s the 25th, I wish it was the 1st

Couples all around me, damn, it hurts

Wanna push ’em in the fireplace and watch ’em burn”

White Xmas

The album finishes with a cover of the classical song “White Christmas” by Irving Berlin. Sabrina’s vocals give the song a melancholic and relaxing tone. It is incredibly dreamy and beautiful.  

To end the song, she adds part of another popular Christmas song, “Jingle Bells.” Ultimately, she finishes the album with a Christmas feeling and a longing for this beautiful and memorable time and its nostalgia. 

Best lyrics:

(The Outro including Jingles bells)

“Jingle bells, the jingle bеlls

Jingle all the way Ooh”

Overall, the album is perfect for all the feelings and emotions one can experience during the holiday season. Sabrina created the perfect Christmas album for this year. Hope you get to listen to it and enjoy it as much as I did. Happy Holidays!

Valeria Martinez is a senior writer at Her Campus UPRM. This is her fourth year on Her Campus. She focuses on writing about popular culture, social issues, and mental health. She also completed an internship with Her Campus Media. Beyond Her Campus, Valeria is a Digital Marketing intern for Puerto Rico Wire Group. She also interned for the non-profit organization Thirst Project, managing their socials and creating content for them. One of her poems is to be published in Sabanas Bilingual Magazine. She currently works as a Digital Marketing intern. Valeria is an English Literature undergraduate student also doing a minor in Writing and Communications at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. In her free time, Valeria loves going to the beach, reading, the movies, and cafe hopping. She is also a musical enthusiast and theatre kid who can't go out most of the time because "she's got practice." Her ultimate goal is to become a Journalist focusing on Latin Communities. She plans to move to NYC to Graduate School at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York next year.