This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Thumbnail image via Movimiento Estudiantil UPR Mayagüez.

With the UPR Student Strike in full effect in the face of a 450 million-dollar budget cut, one which could leave the country’s public university inoperable in just a few years, it’s hard for us UPRM students to not have these five thoughts, whether we are in favor of or against the indefinite strike:

1. “I should transfer to another university”

OK, so this one has definitely gone through our heads more than once, whether out of fear of not graduating on time or out of fear of losing the University while trying. In the end, we know our Sangre Verde will hold up to fight the good fight.

2. “It’s time to head to my cousin’s in Florida and get a job.”

Can you relate? Most of us Puerto Ricans have some sort of relative living in the state of Florida due to the massive ongoing exodus from citizens seeking financial security, career opportunities, and quality of life, so it’s no wonder the thought of quitting and moving on to the next thing lingers in the back of our minds.

3. “Imma just stay home and be a professional couch potato.”

Oh yeah, with so many Netflix shows, movies, YouTube videos, and video games amongst other media that’s constantly coming out, it’s hard to not succumb to the temptation of packing our bags and moving in with mom again keeping her couch warm and pervasively annoy her with pleas for food and the latest gadgets. While the temptation to vegetar is definitely strong, deep down you know you should be studying, at the gates or studying at the gates, depending on your point of view.

4. “What if I don’t get to graduate? It’s like my 10th year.”

Well, Jerry Seinfeld pretty much sums this one up, not getting to graduate again after years of trying is a huge bummer. Having to stick around a semester or even a year longer for the long awaited graduation can be a financial burden or a source of shame for some of us. And some of us just can’t stand wasting time.

5. “Should I join in the protests or go to the beach?” or, its counterpart, “Why is everyone at the beach?”

Arguably, this one is a daily reality where most of our student body–even the ones who voted in favor of the strike–do not participate in any of the public rallies, activities or think of anything constructive that could help the university prosper in a more self-sufficient manner. Instead, early vacations, road trips, and weekends at the beach are the norm for many folks.

Whether you are in favor or against the strike, it’s important to reflect on the future of the university and its education. Remember to not lose hope and hang in there, the storm will pass, and there will always be light at end the of the tunnel, no matter how cliché it may sound.

¡Antes, Ahora y Siempre Colegio!

Hi my name's Matt, I'm a English major interested in research, writing and adventure. I hail from the mountains of Utuado, Puerto Rico. I love hiking, books, movies, and traveling.
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.