10 Women Who Shattered Stereotypes at Miss Universe This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

There was a time when the Miss Universe pageant was predictable to a point that for some it might have been boring. You could easily pinpoint five possibilities of who would win because everything was based on the physical beauty of the candidates. That was when Trump was in charge of the pageant and now, things are changing very much because women are in charge: women are among the judges as well and all of the women involved are accomplished, have careers and value other things apart from physical beauty. Inner beauty, personality, and intelligence may influence the contestant’s scores. Another mission of the Miss Universe pageant is to promote diversity and simultaneously promote companionship and union in the world. Here are the women who shattered stereotypes this year:

1. Miss Albania Lindita Idrizi

It’s usual to see a march of beautiful women with relaxed hair that for most, has been treated to a lot of straightening products. This year’s Miss Albania did not care at all–she let her natural curls come free!

2. Miss Bahamas Cherell Williamson

A beautiful woman of color and entrepreneur: makeup artist, face painter, and jewelry designer, and competitive swimmer (does she ever sleep?). She says she wants to make a change in both her country and the pageant.

3. Miss Brazil Raissa Santana

Many say Raissa was the true goddess of the pageant. She rocked everybody’s world with her natural curls for which, she revealed, she was bullied for. According to Ebony magazine, she is the first black woman to be crowned Miss Brazil in 30 years, when Deise Nunes was crowned in 1986. She made history! Santana expresses that her win is not only one for herself but for all women of color who have found themselves consistently underrepresented. “This here is a mixture of great emotions. I didn’t expect to win this title, but I am very happy to have won this title and to represent black beauty and encourage girls who have the dream of having something, to conquer, to be a model, to be a Miss…Now I want to encourage these girls and show them that they can.”

4. Miss Canada Siera Bearchell

Bearchell has been subject to body-shaming before and during the pageant. Like the host and plus-size model Ashley Graham, she says that it’s important to love yourself. Miss Canada has oftentimes been pressured to conform to the size stereotypes modeling and pageantry carry and, in some cases, had to make adhere to very strict diets. Even though she’s confronted many negative comments regarding her weight, she says that “While I am first to say I am not as lean as I was when I was 16, 20, or even last year, but I am more confident, capable, wise, humble and passionate than ever before.” She represents the importance of self-worth and self-love.

5. Miss Chile Catalina Cáceres

Cáceres was crowned Nuestra Belleza Chile and Miss Universe Chile in 2016. Her causes include Alzheimer Chilean Corporation and she supports LGBT rights. In regards to LGBT issues, Cáceres surprised the audience with her answer during the pageant when asked her opinion on same-sex marriage when she declared herself as fully in accordance with equal marriage. She brushed away the frowns and possible negative outcomes when she continued saying that it was unbelievable how a second-class citizen category with less rights could exist in Chile, a country that doesn’t support same-sex marriage.  

6. Miss Colombia Andrea Tovar

A beautiful woman, strong voice and actually the darkest woman Colombia has crowned in a few years. She had a strong start with popularity in the pageant and, in fact, many thought the crown to be hers. In the end, she was among the top three, finishing as second runner-up.

7. Miss Haiti Raquel Pelissier

Miss Haiti is this year’s first runner-up. The last time Haiti’s candidate finished in the top two was in 1975. Raquel used her time on stage to talk about the strength she believes the women in her country have. She also talked about overcoming the earthquake that rocked the lives of so many in Haiti seven years ago.

8. Miss Sierra Leone Hawa Kamara

Hawa Kamara is the first delegate from Sierra Leone to compete in Miss Universe. A country that is still coming back from its civil conflict and slowly – very slowly – granting women more rights. She broke stereotypes in the pageant with her very short hair.  

9. Miss USA Deshauna Barber

Miss USA Deshauna Barber is in the U.S. Army Reserves and she comes from a military family. She’s the first-ever Miss USA to be in the military. She broke many contradicting stereotypes: the ones in pageantry that hold women as airheads, uneducated and pretty face; and the ones in the military with unattractive women with masculine tendencies. Her fellow soldiers were very supportive and excited for her when she was crowned Miss USA.

10. Ashley Graham

The pageant contestants weren’t the only ones representing the pageant’s actions to break the stereotypes: the host did her part as well. Graham is well-known as an icon for body positivity and female empowerment. She’s made body-shamers swallow their words with each Instagram picture and every time she struts the runway. Choosing Ashley Graham to be the backstage host of the pageant sends this body-positive message.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.