10 Questions with YouTube Sensation: Deborah Álvarez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Don’t you all wish you had that one fabulous friend who’s always there to give you beauty advice? Here at HC-UPRM we are fortunate enough to have Deborah Álvarez as a part of our team. With over 23,000 YouTube subscribers, she never fails to give the best advice from how to conceal those under eye circles due to long nights of studying to the most comfortable outfits of the day. I had the opportunity to chat with Deborah about her YouTube channel and plans for the future, keep reading for more! 

Name: Deborah Álvarez

Maj​or: Psychology

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/uwodoo

Instagram: http://instagram.com/uwodoo

Twitterhttps://twitter.com/uwodoo

HCUPRM: What made you want to start a YouTube channel?

DA: I don’t really think I can say there was a specific event that made me want to start my channel, it was more of a gradual thing. I had started posting random videos on an old channel a few years ago, and I fell in love with the YouTube community. My boyfriend wanted to do YouTube at the time as well, and he really pushed me to do my own thing. The support I got from my first viewers made me want to keep posting.

HCUPRM: How did you come up with your username?

DA: I wanted a name that had a meaning and was also unique and memorable, so I started to look for the word beautiful in different languages. I eventually found that uwodu means you’re beautiful in Cherokee. I felt it had a ring to it, so it stuck! When I tried to claim the username on YouTube it was already taken, so the spelling had to change a bit. Uwodoo was born!

HCUPRM: Which video has gotten the most hits?  What are your favorite type of videos to make?

DA: My most viewed video is one of the very first I posted: Beautiful Curls with NO Heat or Rollers*. It recently hit 1 million views, and I still can’t believe that many people have seen my face. I have days when my favorite videos are look books and makeup tutorials, and then I have days when I just want to post tag and advice videos. Ultimately, my favorite videos are the ones I have fun making and everyone responds well to. 

*Link to the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvkhhBafrMA

HCUPRM: What is the best thing that has happened since being on YouTube?

DA: I’ve acquired a type of knowledge I could never have acquired elsewhere. It feels good to know you can help thousands of girls by doing something you love. I get excited over every bit, so every time I get a comment saying I’ve inspired someone, or every time a get an offer from my network, I feel like it’s the best thing ever. I still have a long way to go, but I love every aspect of making videos.  

HCUPRM: Do you prefer filming or editing?

DA: Again, it depends on the mood I’m in! Sometimes I’ll get a really strong urge to film and I’ll film three videos in one sitting. Other days, I’ll be on a editing roll and edit some really kick-butt videos. Generally, the editing is what makes or breaks a video, so I take more pride in my editing. 

HCUPRM: Do you read all the comments and messages your viewers post?

DA: I try! When I post a new video, I’ll read and reply to most comments for the first two days. I’d say if I miss reading any comments, it’s from my oldest videos.

HCUPRM: What are your other hobbies?

DA: I feel like I’m an old soul so I’m the type of person to stay home and try a bunch of new recipes while watching American Horror Story. I also love reading, shopping (especially online), and going to brunch with my friends.

HCUPRM: What are your plans for the future?

DA: Once I graduate, I’d like to pursue further education within the field of Consumer Psychology. Ideally, I’d like to do something where I combine my education with my YouTube experience; I’m excited for what the future will bring. 

HCUPRM: How do manage your time between school, YouTube and extracurricular activities?

DA: It’s definitely not a walk in the park, and some days I feel like it’s more than I can handle. I’ve always thought, however, that you should finish what you started. I appreciate everything I have, especially being able to go to college and work on my own, so I just take deep breaths and give my best at everything (even if it means skipping a few hours of sleep and chugging coffee on a daily basis). I’ve found keeping daily to-do lists helps a lot! Organization and perseverance are crucial when you have a lot to do.

HCUPRM: What advice would you give to someone who wants to start their own YouTube channel?

DA: This applies to any big dreams anyone may have in life; once you start something, keep going. Follow your dreams with passion, and you will succeed. If you work hard and persevere, there isn’t anything you can’t do. It’s good if your dreams scare you.

All photos and links were taken from Deborah’s social media pages. 

Junior majoring in Biology, future ER physician. Born and raised in New York. Lover of baking, Beyoncé albums, family and everything pink!