10 Lessons You’ll Learn as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

1.    Be open-minded

This is a new stage in your life in which experimentation is needed. Take classes outside your major. Join a club you wouldn’t have even considered before, but most important; make new friends.

2.   Be on-time

Many professors are extremely strict with punctuality (some even don’t allow students in after five minutes class has started). Luckily these professors make us learn the hard way that punctuality is one of the most important skills we are going to need in our future professional lives.

3.   Don’t be a smart-ass

College is a place to acquire knowledge and one of the most amazing things in life is that one never stops learning. Take this opportunity to absorb as many perspectives and opinions as possible, the key is listening.

4.   It’s okay to be ourselves

Whether you’re joining the Greek life or if you’re making new friends on your own, always remember who you are. Peer pressure doesn’t stop in high school, but now you’ll have the mindset to know better. Uniqueness is what defines you, don’t lose it.

5.   Balance is key

Freshman year is amazing, a big part of it is the liberty and of course, partying. You’ll learn that there’s time for everything, but prioritize; school comes first.

6.   Building bonds is essential

You may have your friends back home and that is fantastic, but remember most of the people you’ll met at college will be people you’ll encounter later on; so be sure to build bonds that may come in handy in the future.

7.   Learning to cook is not debatable

It is fine to stay on the safe side of ramen noodle and fast food for a while, but learning to cook is essential to surviving at least four years of college. Don’t worry, is not hard. Ask anyone, look around the web and even watch videos; you’ll end up choosing a home cook meal over a burger and fries anytime.

8.   Explore your campus

It is completely understandable that sometimes you just want to rush to your apartment after class and take a really long nap, but you might be surprised if you stayed a bit longer and took a walk around campus. Sit down for a while; get to know other students, even professors!

9.   Get your finances in a row

Now that you have the freedom of spending, use it wisely. Make a budget of what you want to spend that week, prioritize those expenses, and stick to them. You might think that credit and miss spending problems come later on, but they really begin to grow in your years of college.

10. Mayagüez is worth the chance

As most of UPRM’s freshmen are just leaving their hometowns, they tend to rush back home to see their friends and family on weekends, which is fine. What if instead you stayed and wondered the city? Mayagüez and the West side are much more than just our campus; the beaches, the people and even the food is worth the shot.

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.
Olivieri is a Puerto Rican entrepreneur who craves knowledge and has a passion for writing. Currently trying to unravel the world's mysteries by majoring in physics.