10 Inspiring TED Talks to Help You Through Any Situation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It is that time of the year again: holiday break is over and we must come back to terms with the reality of our routines, classes and due dates. To ease back into early rising and actually remembering the date and time of the week I have compiled a list of TED talks that may help in staying sane and keeping focused on the big picture of our careers.

1. The Puzzle of Motivation

I’m going to be watching this one on repeat in search for the motivation to get through this semester.

2. How to Make Stress Your Friend

A much needed talk on how to turn our worst enemy into a companion to guide us through our procrastination-induced all-nighters.

3. How to Succeed? Get More Sleep

Yes! This is one of my favorites. I am all for more sleep at any given moment of the day in any given place: the library, the halls, the seat at the back of the class… anywhere really.

4. How Frustration can Make Us More Creative

This one is for when everything is going wrong. Maybe it’s not such a bad thing that your computer crashed, you printer ran out of ink and it’s pouring outside on the same day you lost your umbrella.

5. Wisdom from Great Writers on Every Year of Life

As a bookworm, this is my personal favorite. A talk about life up until now and the years to come as told by famous authors. One of the most relevant quotes I’ve ever read in literature: “After the age of 20… one is less and less sure of who one is.” -V.S. Pritchett, The Midnight Oil.

6. Why You Should Talk to Strangers

Yes, ask the girl sitting down next to you in class what her name is. If you missed a day and need notes, just turn to Jimmy who seats behind you every day, he can surely give you his. We are all in this together even if we can’t remember each other’s names at the end of the semester.

7. What Reality Are You Creating For Yourself?

There is nothing we cannot do if we put our minds to it. You think you can’t write an entire term paper in one night? Think again. Anything is possible!

8. Why We All Need to Practice Emotional First Aid

College is a difficult and wonderful time. While we party and experience the grandeur of our own independence, we may also get frustrated, lonely, depressed and anxious at times. It’s important we learn how to deal with these emotional wounds.

9. Why We Do What We Do

Another one on motivation, good for understanding ourselves and those around us a little better. Maybe this way we can come to understand why our professors seem to gather into meetings and plan exams all on the same day.

10. How to Gain Control of Your Free Time

Our busy lives require that we know how to manage our time. How to fit in late night hangouts, due dates, extra curriculars, social life, chores, family and sleep all into the limited hours of the week.

Undergraduate psychology major with a passion for art. Loves traveling and spreading her creative spirit!
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.