This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Stanley’s Adventure Quencher Travel Tumbler. Retrieved from The New York Times

Rarely does a product with a straightforward objective strike such a chord with consumers. It’s even more unusual for such a product to emerge from a brand with a century-long history. However, the “Stanley Cup” has defied these odds.

History 

The history of the Stanley Tumbler is a tale that spans more than a century, weaving through the fabric of time with innovation, durability, and a commitment to keeping beverages at their optimal temperature. It all began in 1913 when William Stanley Jr., the brilliant mind behind the brand, introduced the world to the first ever all-steel vacuum bottle. Little did he know that this invention would pave the way for the iconic Stanley Tumbler people cherish today.

Stanley’s original vacuum bottle revolutionized the way people approached on-the-go hydration. With its double-wall insulation and rugged design, it quickly gained a reputation for keeping liquids hot or cold for extended periods. The durability of the product became synonymous with the Stanley name, earning it a spot as an essential companion for outdoor enthusiasts, adventurers, and everyday individuals alike.

Retrieved from Stanley

As the years rolled on, the Stanley Tumbler evolved to meet the changing needs of consumers. The commitment to quality craftsmanship remained unwavering, but the design incorporated modern elements without compromising its core functionality. The Stanley Tumbler became a symbol of reliability, accompanying generations through camping trips, road adventures, and daily routines. 

The Rise of the Stanley CUP

The rise of Stanley on TikTok has been nothing short of a viral sensation, turning a classic brand into a contemporary icon. In a platform where trends come and go in the blink of an eye, this brand has managed to captivate the hearts of the TikTok community for a long time now. 

The Stanley Cup had their heyday on social media thanks to three women, Linley Hutchinson, Ashlee LeSueur, and Taylor Cannon, founders of an online store called “The Buy Guide.”  In November 2017, The Buy Guide’s account posted a post that highlighted a 40-oz Stanley Quencher, proclaiming it as the ultimate choice among insulated cups. The post emphasized its noteworthy features and the founders encouraged followers to trust their recommendation on the product. 

As the Quencher faced stock shortages and the threat of discontinuation, Hutchinson urged followers to act quickly. She prompted followers to secure any available cup, encouraging them to express their love for the product and to request Stanley to reconsider its potential discontinuation. In spring 2019, LeSueur and the other co-founders contacted Lauren Solomon, a national sales manager at Stanley. The connection was initiated when Emily Maynard Johnson, an influencer from The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, made a post on Instagram about a Quencher she’d received from The Buy Guide, catching Solomon’s attention. Unlike many brands engaging in affiliate marketing with influencers like The Buy Guide, Stanley hadn’t been part of such programs. Instead, the women were directed to place a wholesale order, requiring a minimum quantity of 10,000 cups. The Buy Guide depleted its initial 5,000 cups within four days, and the subsequent 5,000 cups were sold out in just an hour.

After this success, the Stanley executives and the founders of The Buy Guide struck a deal, one that LeSueur credited to Bob Keller, the chief executive of Stanley’s parent company, PMI Worldwide. Stanley would resume selling the Quencher on its website and would even offer the tumbler in more colors, while The Buy Guide would continue to promote the product and would receive a portion of revenue from their sales. 

Stanley vs. Yeti: Predicting the Future of a Trend

The fate of the Stanley Tumbler trend appears to hinge on a variety of factors, much like the trajectory experienced by the Yeti brand. While both products initially gained immense popularity, it is essential to consider the dynamic nature of consumer preferences and market trends.

The Stanley Tumbler, with its durable construction and historical brand reputation, has positioned itself as a formidable contender. Its success may be attributed to the combination of quality craftsmanship and a competitive pricing strategy. Yet, the persistence of a trend depends on its ability to adapt to evolving consumer needs and preferences.

Examining the lessons learned from the Yeti trend, we recognize that sustaining long-term success requires continuous innovation, effective marketing, and a keen understanding of consumer expectations. The market is dynamic, and the durability of any trend is contingent on a brand’s agility and responsiveness.

In essence, the future of the Stanley Tumbler trend may follow either path—continued success or a decline similar to the Yeti’s. Only time will reveal whether the Stanley Tumbler will withstand the test of changing consumer landscapes or if it will face the challenges that come with evolving trends in the market.

Adriana Quiles is junior at the University of Puerto Rico Recinto de Río Piedras. She's very passionate about female empowerment and feels that Her Campus is her ideal outlet to talk about topics that matter to her and to all women.