What to Do During October to Make the Most of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Are you a Halloween lover but don’t know what to do to celebrate it due to pandemic limitations? There are many ways to make the most of Halloween without having to go out, and this article is all about it, so you can be eerie yet safe.

1.       Do a daily Halloween-inspired makeup look

If you’re a makeup junkie, this will be a fun challenge for you. Get creative with your makeup, and do a daily makeup look during Halloween week! You can even choose a theme: serial killers, paranormal, princesses, or anything spooky that you can come up with!

2.       Make a Halloween theme movie marathon

You can celebrate from the comfort of your bed with your favorite snacks and closest people. Gather your favorite Halloween movies, and make a movie marathon! They can be thrillers, spooky comedy, horror, kids’ movies, or whatever you like (as long as it has the Halloween spirit!)

3.       Play horror videogames

This is a fun activity to enjoy with friends. There are plenty of horror games available to celebrate the fright month. Phasmophobia has become popular and it’s really scary. Resident Evil ripped some screams out of a lot of gamers. The Evil Within, Little Nightmares, Outlast, Dead by Daylight and Five Nights at Freddy’s are only a few games that will surely chill your spine.

4.       Make a Halloween fashion week

It’s time to mix and match whatever you have in your closet to make the scariest outfits. Just like you do with makeup, you can choose a theme, or you can attempt to imitate a certain character. Who knows! You might end up finding your Halloween costume.

5.       Play the Halloween events on Animal Crossing: New Horizons

I know that Animal Crossing is a relaxing game, but it’s actually really fun! Last year, because I couldn’t do much due to the pandemic, I dressed my character with different costumes every day during October, and decorated my island with Halloween items. This is something you can also do if you want something relaxing to do.

6.       Prepare a Halloween playlist

There are many songs that can be included in a Halloween playlist: songs that talk about vampires, witches, ghosts, or even candy. They don’t necessarily need to have a certain theme; if they have a creepy sound, they’re definitely a good choice to consider for the playlist! Make a playlist and blast it out during October, share it with your friends, and make your personal party!

7.       Read horror

The bookworms will always find a way! There are many books that have already become movies; but those who like to read, always give the book a shot. It doesn’t have to be a book (as long as we’re talking about some form of literature, such as comics, graphic novels or manga). Because Halloween is right around the corner, you can also read about serial killers, urban legends like La Llorona, creepypastas such as The Slender Man or Jeff the Killer, or anything spooky that floats your boat.

8.       Buy Halloween candy

For those with a sweet tooth, candy is a great way to celebrate! Halloween candy is the cutest! Just think about all the chocolates shaped as pumpkins, the marshmallows painted as eyeballs, the candy corn, and all things pumpkin-flavored. Personally, I live for pumpkin-shaped Reese’s and Ghost Peeps!

9.       Participate in  Halloween art challenges

There’s a trend on Instagram called #artober, where different artists post varied prompts to get inspired daily and draw something related to the prompt. If you’re an artist, this is bound to be a fun activity for you! There are endless prompts with different themes and concepts. Everyone should give it a try!

10.   Decorate your space

Whenever I enter any store that has Halloween decorations, I get the same feeling of Christmastime. Decorating your room or house is a great way to set the mood for the night of Hollows’ Eve! Hang bat-shaped lights, wrap orange-and-black garlands anywhere, make ghosts out of plastic bags…and, while you’re at it, remember that creativity is your best ally for this time of the year!

There are many things you can do to have a fun time during Halloweenーyes, even from the comfort of your own home. Whether it’s a mini party with your friends, a movie night with your family members, or a spooky virtual game session, remember to always stay safe!

Astrid Carolina is a grad school student at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She has a Bachelors Degree in Modern Languages and is currently doing her Masters in Translation. When she's not stressing out over doing her thesis, you can probably find her playing videogames or being crafty. Astrid is out there encouraging people to be themselves without fear!