We Asked Dreamers How Eliminating DACA Would Affect Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals is a program created by President Obama in 2012. According to Immigration Equality, this implies that: “Individuals who have deferred action status can apply for employment authorization and are in the U.S. under color of law. However, there is no direct path from deferred action to lawful permanent residence or to citizenship.  And, it can be revoked at any time”. However, this program can set you on the right path to qualify for the DREAM Act (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act). Via this act, immigrant minors could gain conditional residency and then permanent residency in the United States.

Now, President Trump has threatened to shut down this program and is moving to do so.

These are the lives at stake:

Erika is 19 and she’s from Colorado. This is her story.

How has DACA helped you to move forward in your life?

Before DACA I never really had the chance to pursue a better life. While all my friends in high school were getting drivers’ licenses and scholarships that took them around the world, I was left bewildered. I didn’t know what my next step in life was. I grew up seeing my parents struggle to pay bills and try to risk not getting deported. I didn’t want to be stuck working at a poor paying job. I wanted to travel the world and meet/help people in struggling countries. I wanted that better paying job. I found out that I was the first in my family to graduate high school. It inspired me. With DACA I have been able to do all these things and then some. I don’t feel like I’m invisible anymore, and now, more than ever, I feel like I can reach my full potential.

How would the elimination of this program affect you?

The countdown has begun, Trump has already called for the elimination of DACA. He left it up to Congress and if they don’t pass a DREAM Act by the deadline, we will be left with broken dreams. Not only will this affect me, but it will affect the thousands of other DREAMers like me. We are not criminals. We want to contribute to this place we call home. When I say DREAMers, I’m talking about Lawyers, Doctors, Business Owners,  and not just Mexicans but Polish, Koreans, and people from other nations. We are a diverse community. Many of us have been able to buy our first home, build credit, give our families a better future. Without DACA, all of this will be taken away and we will once again be left in the shadows.

What message would you pass onto other DREAMers?

To make our voice heard! That is the power we have as people. Continue to live your lives, but to have a Plan B in case the Act isn’t passed. I have until May 2019 until my EAD expires. Others don’t have as much time as I do, but we shouldn’t be discouraged.

Carlos Avila is 34 years old and he’s from New Jersey. This is his story.

I have been able to take care of my family. I have also been able to purchase a car, thus making life better all around.

My kids would suffer greatly and be forced to depend only on a part-time income. My state of mind as we stand by idly is weary and I’m  scared of the possible outcome. I cannot imagine not being able to simply live my life working hard to provide for my family.

Stay strong. Keep working and take it one day at a time.

This 25-year-old DREAMer from Utah wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

It has given me better-paying jobs, and the opportunity to travel

I might lose my job and all that I have worked hard for

Let’s keep being positive!

Sara is 23 and she’s from New York. This is her story.

It has helped me continue my education and work. I currently have two jobs. I work as a special education instructional aide and work part time at Pollo Loco. I’m also a full-time student. If I didn’t have DACA, I wouldn’t be in the work im currently in. I wouldn’t be able to support myself and put myself through college.. it has open many doors. I’m grateful for DACA it has to change my life. For the first time, it has given me the sense that I belong to this country. It has made me feel that I finally belong. When I was in high school all my friends would talk about getting a license and applying for FAFSA. I felt that I didn’t belong to the country in which I have spent most of my life.

If this program ends I will be deported because I would have to stop working. I would have to find another way to support myself. It will affect my college courses. I will not be able to continue pursuing my American Dream. I’m studying to be a social worker. But what good will that be if I can’t get my license and can’t get work after so much schooling? It would make me feel devasted that I’m not wanted, that I don’t belong anymore. That I can’t live as an American because I will once again need to feel afraid of being persecuted.

I guess try not to give up.

Olga is 19 years old and she’s from Texas. This is her story.

I have obtained an Associate Degree in Science and am moving towards my bachelors while working as a teachers assistant.

I would lose my job which helps pay for my school tuition. I wouldn’t be able to proceed with getting my higher degree.

Stay strong. When one door closes another one opens.

This 34-year-old DREAMer from Texas wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

I was able to work as a teacher and use my Bachelor’s Degree that I earned back in 2010.

I would have to stop working as a teacher and my family would be affected since we use my salary to pay for house expenses

Don’t lose hope and keep showing that we are good citizens. Also, remember education is key. We need to get a college degree and demonstrate we can be good citizens

This 24-year-old DREAMer from Washington wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

It has given me faith to believe that I can fulfill my dreams

its heartbreaking to see that after all, I won’t be able to work. I just graduated with my Bachelor’s Degree and I don’t know if I will be able to get a job. The elimination of the program gives me anxiety and depression from not knowing what will happen in the future.

Not give up, as cliche as that sounds. Now, more than ever, we need to remain strong. I would like to tell other dreamers that we have had to survive in this country as undocumented before and if it comes to that we will show everyone that we will thrive once again. To other DREAMers: we need to continue fighting for our rights, to continue getting educated and to continue working harder than ever to prove and show that we are here to stay.

This 30-year-old DREAMer from Iowa wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

It has helped me get my driver’s license and not worry that I will get pulled over. It has helped me to get a job and to support my family

I will be afraid to drive. My main concern is that I will not have a job to provide for my kids. What scares me the most is being separated from my kids. My lawyer didn’t send the papers on time and my DACA ends December of this year. I’m sad but I will have faith.

Don’t give up God is good. We have to trust God.

Andrea is 21 and she’s from Texas. This is her story.

Thanks to DACA, I served as a student ambassador to my city.DACA allowed me to serve a wider purpose within my community.

Doors opened because of DACA. Doors are starting to close with its end

Our voices matter. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

This 28-year-old DREAMer from North Carolina wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

Got a Bachelor’s degree and I am applying for grad school.

It would stop me from pursuing higher education. I want to teach in a university setting.

Don’t give up. No matter the circumstances, just keep trying.

This 17-year-old DREAMer from Texas wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

Being the oldest child out of 5 kids, I relied on DACA to help my family out with bills. My father and mother both work tremendous hours. When I got my work permit and found a job I provided them with much needed financial help. DACA also allowed me to join my high school’s Pharmacy Technician program. With my SS# I was eligible for the class and in June of 2018, I will take the test in order to get certified.           

When Trump announced the end to the DACA program, I was forced to accept the fact that I wouldn’t be able to attend a university away from home but I would need to attend a local community college. As a senior in high school, I had to rethink what my major would be. I have to work harder in order to save money to support my family and also keep up with my school work before my DACA expires. The elimination of this program will put me off work and my parents will have to get more work hours in order to support all of my siblings.

Never lose faith when times get hard because they definitely will. Be unafraid in the face of adversity because we are all DREAMers!

This 35-year-old DREAMer from New Jersey wishes to remain anonymous. This is his/her/their story.

I’ve been working for five years to support myself and my children, after receiving my work permit. I’m also enrolled in nursing school to become a nurse. I am paying the tuition out-of-pocket, no financial assistance or grants. I will graduate July 2018 and am looking forward to a better life for my family and me.

I will have no way to support myself or children. Also, my nursing degree which I have worked so hard to attain would mean nothing without a permit to work legally.

Stay strong and have faith.

The DACA Program is helping real lives, real people, move forward in their lives. We cannot allow these people to be cut off from any type of opportunity.

You can help make a change by going to Change.org and signing the petition to Protect and Preserve Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Or, just click here.

Antoinette Luna is a Performance Studies and Comparative Literature major at the UPR. Her passions include writing, reading, and anything crafty. She loves to sew, write, and make things from scratch. DIY is the name of her game. Around campus, she is known as a bubbly young woman who goes by just Luna. Her future goals include traveling, traveling, and more traveling. Outspoken transfeminist, and wannabe activist, she's out to set fires.