UPR Goes to Mexico and London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

This semester three of our very own, Kiara Hernandez, Jamie Lee Ruiz, Benny Seda have earned the opportunity to represent the region of Mexico and the Caribbean in the annual Unigames competition hosted by the company Unilever. You’re probably already familiar with most of the Unilever brands such as Dove, Tresemme and AXE — the latter brand being the theme of the first place strategic marketing competition. This team’s proposal: AXE, Go for the Mother not only categorized them as a little risqué (see the video below for yourself) but gave them the ultimate opportunity to travel to Mexico and London! Needless to say I was more than proud to interview my friends, because after all the marathon brainstorming sessions, they made us all proud.

What’s your major?

All: We are currently in our senior year of Public Relations and Publicity as Communications majors.

How did you first learn of the Unigame competition?

Kiara: We learned of the Unigame competition through a marketing professor who proposed to us to compete as a final grade for her class. Among the other requirements was that a group of three members be formed, so we contacted Benny as the third member of the team.

How did you react when you found out that you were the winning team?

Kiara: We were at the offices of Unilever in Guaynabo when we found out.  It was truly an unreal emotion, we shouted, jumped and laughed of happiness. After all the excitement, we felt extremely pleased with our proposal and how we had presented ourselves.

Jamie Lee: First, we screamed in excitement. In that moment I remembered when we decided to face the challenge of the Unigame competition. Unaware of what we would face, my partners and I opted to try. I also thought of all those sleepless nights in which our coffee was accompanied by the toast: ” People, we’re going to London! Salúd”. It reaffirmed that there are no obstacles when we decide to accept challenges that fill our hearts with joy.

Benny: Amid shouts of joy, I thought of all the sleepless nights I had with my colleagues working on the proposal of sustainability for AXE. Knowing that after so many efforts and sacrifices, we were victorious in the Caribbean and Mexico region, representing Puerto Rico is an honor that fills me with pride.

What about the AXE brand do you most like?

Benny: The most I like about the brand is the risqué factor that characterizes it. Its signature irreverence opens the door to endless creative possibilities. Besides being cool, it’s targeted at my generation, the Millennials, allows me to identify myself through the brand. This understanding and appreciation of the brand made ​​the development of creative executions for the proposal a delight.

What challenges did you face during the creation of the proposal?

Benny: The greatest challenge that occurred in the process of preparing the proposal was to relate the AXE effect, the primary benefit of the brand, with the proposal of sustainability. After several brainstorming sessions “AXE Go for the Mother” was born.

Why do you believe your proposal won?

Jamie Lee: As we thought about what to do, our priority was to ascribe to the requirements (creativity, sustainability, implementation, “AXE effect”) that were established for the competition. Those became our pillars in accepting the ideas we came up with, and I think that’s what made us winners. With that, we created a cost effective initiative while tying environmental responsibility, without ever losing the AXE effect.

Watch their proposal below! 

Pictures courtesy of Unilever Puerto Rico.

[pagebreak]

¿Cuál es su concentración?  

Todos: Estamos actualmente en cuarto año de bachillerato en Relaciones Públicas, Publicidad en la Escuela de Comunicación.

¿Cuál fueron sus reacciones al enterarse que eran el equipo ganador?

Kiara: Estábamos en las oficinas de Unilever en Guaynabo cuándo nos enteramos. Realmente, fue una emoción irreal, en ese momento gritamos, brincamos y reímos de la felicidad.  Después de toda la emoción, nos sentimos sumamente satisfechos con nuestra propuesta y cómo nos presentamos.

Jamie Lee: Primeramente, gritar de felicidad. En ese momento recordé cuando decidimos lanzarnos el reto de Unigame, puesto que sin saber a lo que nos enfrentaríamos mis dos compañeros y yo optamos por intentarlo. Además, pensé en todas esas noches de desvelo que nuestra tasa de café iba acompañada de un “Gente, vamos a Londres, Salud”. Reafirmé que no hay obstáculos cuando decidimos lanzarnos retos que nos llenan el corazón de alegría.

Benny:  Entre gritos de alegría, pensé en todas la noches de desvelo que tuve junto a mis compañeras trabajando en la propuesta de sustentabilidad para AXE. El saber que luego de tantos esfuerzos y sacrificios habíamos obtenido la victoria en el Caribe y México representando a Puerto Rico es un orgullo que no me cabe en el pecho.

¿Cómo se enteraron de la competencia?

Kiara: Nos enteramos de Unigame mediante una profesora de mercadeo que propuso competir como trabajo de fin de semestre. Entre los requisitos se encontraba el que se formara un grupo de tres integrantes, por lo que contactamos a Benny como tercer integrante del equipo.

¿Qué es lo más que les gusta de la marca Axe?

Benny: Lo más que me gusta de la marca es el factor risqué que la caracteriza. Esa irreverencia de AXE te abre las puertas a una infinidad de posibilidades creativas. Además de ser cool, está dirigida a mi generación, los Millennials,  lo que permite que me pueda identificar. Esta comprensión y apreciación de la marca hizo que el desarrollo de las ejecuciones creativas para la propuesta fuera un deleite

¿Qué retos enfrentaron al elaborar la propuesta?

Benny: El reto que presentó la mayor dificultad en la elaboración de la propuesta fue el relacionar el efecto AXE, beneficio primario de la marca, con la propuesta de sustentabilidad. Luego de varias sesiones de brainstorming surgió “AXE Go for the Mother”.

¿Por qué entienden que su  propuesta fue la ganadora?

Jamie Lee: Mientras pensábamos en qué hacer, nuestra prioridad se la adjudicamos a los requisitos (creatividad, sustentabilidad, aplicación, “efecto AXE”) que establecía la convocatoria, esos eran nuestros pilares al momento de aceptar las ideas que se nos ocurrían, y considero que eso fue lo que nos hizo ganadores. Con eso logramos crear una iniciativa costo efectiva, atando la responsabilidad ambiental, sin perder el efecto AXE.