UPR Abroad 101: The Application Process

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

[[Edit intro, add photos -Ale]] 

“You have brains in your head.You have feet in your shoes.You can steer yourselfAny direction you choose!” ― Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You’ll Go!)

So you want to study abroad? Great! Deciding to go for it is your first step, ahem… well, not exactly. Sometimes the process can be a little tricky and, well, completely confusing! But no fear! Her Campus UPR is going to break down the process and give you some amazing insider tips!

Find the office.Although it may sound completely ridiculous, it’s actually something most people don’t know about.  It’s located on the second floor of Plaza Universitaria, past the door and down the hall right between the Financial Aid Offices and Recaudaciones. Once you reach the department of Student Affairs (the last door at the end of the hall), go past a reception desk and then, hidden in the back righthand corner, you’ll find the Oficina para la Movilidad Internacional. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT $200. (Kidding!)

Orientation!Once you’ve found the office you’ll want to sign up for orientation on the program you’re interested in. There’s a different orientation conference for different countries and programs. A calendar is available with plenty of dates to choose from so you can work it into your busy schedule. There are many opportunities to choose from when considering abroad studies, so be sure to research beforehand what particular country, region, or university you prefer — this will allow you to choose the program (and therefore orientation) that fits you best. Of course, you also have the option of attending them all and choosing the one that suits you best! Keep in mind that some programs will require you to have a number of credits in a foreign language. (TIP: Don’t forget to bring a notepad to jot down all the info!)

Research, research, and then… Research some more!After attending the orientation conference, you’ll be swimming in pamphlets from the different universities chosen. What now? May I suggest our lovely friend and trustee, Mr. Internet? Most of the universities have detailed websites that allow students to check out everything from curriculums to social life on campus. Be sure the schools you’re researching offer coursework for your major! It’s good to see different aspects of that place where you plan to spend one (or two!) semesters. Do visit all the social media profiles as well! Search the Internet for blogs written by students while abroad, reviews of the campuses, cost of living in the cities, how to get around, what housing is like, etc. (TIP: Make a checklist of what you’re looking for. For example, decide if you’d like a big city over a countryside college, if you prefer on-site or off-site housing, what kind of weather you’re willing to endure, etc.)

BudgetingIt’s never too early to start a savings account destined towards your adventure abroad. Studying abroad doesn’t have to be expensive, if you plan accordingly. Getting a part-time job, selling snacks on campus or even asking friends and family to pitch in can make a big difference! The earlier you start saving, the more time you have to prepare and budget for the trip ahead. (TIP: Mint is an amazing website that allows you to sync your bank accounts and track your spending. You can also create “goals” that track your monthly savings! You can also download the app for your smartphone or tablet.)

ScholarshipsMany colleges and universities have a special arrangement with the University of Puerto Rico that allows students to pay tuition at the same cost as the UPR. This means that you can use the Federal Pell Grant to pay for your semester abroad, and even have money to spare! However, not all schools have this — which means you may have to pay regular price. Make sure to learn more about the eligibility requirements for the school you decide to apply for. Remember you can also apply for many scholarships outside of what the university suggests. There are numerous websites that easily match up your profile to scholarships you’re eligible to, like FastWeb and Cappex.

The Application ProcessWhen you’ve finally decided on a college, APPLY! Make a check-list of all the necessary documents and their due dates. Having an agenda to keep track of important information also helps you to stay on top of the various deadlines.

Now that Her Campus UPR has demystified the application process, take a leap of faith and go for it!