This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Tuna Bardos UPR, founded in 1997, follows the tuneril tradition orthodoxically. Originally, tunas were male student aggrupation’s who studied to be men of religion, and Tuna Bardos UPR still follows that tradition. Also, they are registered as a fraternity here in our university, so, in that sense, they follow the order and code of a fraternity.

*Picture by: a tuno

Process to join

If you’re a male student that is interested in joining La Tuna, you just have to go by La Torre during rehearsal hours (which are usually at night) and watch how rehearsal runs. If it appeals to you, try to assit to an audition! Auditions are usually directed by four or more tunos or fraternal brothers. If you pass auditions, then you are part of the aggrupation!

“People join us because they need something in their lives and La Tuna is a space for growth where you will see a lot of professionals that are the people they are today because of their participation in La Tuna. For me, they are my family. What La Tuna means to every pardillo is diverse, there is always something very pretty behind their reasons”. -Alex Cepeda, tuno since 2012.

Want to hear one of their performances? Watch their “Cómo Fue” video: https://youtu.be/p_nNQlo5aBM

You can contact them on their Facebook page to buy their first CD: Tuna Bardos de la Universidad de Puerto Rico which is also available on iTunes and Spotify.

For bookings, please call (787) 329-0916.

*Pictures by: Bart Van Overbeeke

Born in New York's finest hospital: Belleview. Raised in an echanted island: Puerto Rico. Don't expect me on the sidelines, I walk as if the world were my runway. Journalism student learning Physical Education and Recreation because writing stories under preassure was not enough.