This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Written by: Ana P. Negrón Philippi

All around the student community of La IUPI, we can find interesting and peculiar people that warm up our hearts when we get to know them. As Paola Marzán, third year student, said: “Juan is a man that has his goals and virtues clear; a guy that many are attracted to”. When Juan Carlos León passes by your side, you have to stop and admire the talent he has with style and the passion he has for art. Juan Carlos is the kind of guy that you can talk to just about anything, feel comfortable, and have a relaxed day. He is, in fact, a trend setter.

Name: Juan Carlos León Ricart

Major: Humanities; Concentration in Art History

Classification: 3rd year student

Relationship Status: Single & doing just fine.

Hometown: Ponce, PR

Spirit Animal: Otter (They hold hands to keep floating away from each other)

HCUPR: Tell us a little about yourself:

Juan:  I’m a work in progress, searching and learning more about myself as I evolve as an individual.

HCUPR: Why did you choose to study Art History at UPRRP, and what are your professional plans for the future?

Juan: The decision to study Art History at La IUPI came to me slowly. Before graduating high school, my interests were based on Literature or Anthropology. Thanks to the work experience I had at el Museo de Arte de Ponce, I realized that Art History was my North. Right now, I’m thinking on doing a second major on Public Relations. Then, when I finally graduate, I’ll work on my Master’s degree in Creative Design and Social Media.

HCUPR: What has been your favorite part of studying Art History? Give an example.

Juan: I’ve had the great opportunity to collaborate with different artists. For example, I worked with Diane Sanchez, a Fine Arts graduate student from UPRRP that was presenting her work at an exhibition titled: “Escombros”. This was the first time I had interacted, and had a real connection, with an artist.  I also wish that more collaborations between History of Art students and Fine Art students existed. That way, we can put into practice what we’re learning.

HCUPR: Who inspires you?

Juan:  A lot of people inspire me: David Bowie, Freddy Mercury, and Dev Hynes…

HCUPR: How has your style changed over the course of your life? What fashion icons inspire you for your wardrobe?

Juan: My fashion sense has changed a lot since I began college 3 years ago. Before, I only had to wear uniform in high school and didn’t have to think about what to wear the next day! I love getting dressed well so, when I started at La IUPI, I tried hard to look nice. Over time, I have learned to relax my style. My style is extremely chromatic, simple, and subtle.

HCUPR: Who are your favorite artists?

Juan: Frank Stella (Contemporary artist), Frank Ghery (Contemporary arquitect), Jean-Leon Gerome (Neo Classical artist) and Gustave Dure.

HCUPR: What is your advice for people, especially men, who have not discovered fully their fashion statements and/or professional goals?

Juan:  Dare to take risks. It’s the perfect time, because nobody is going to be as perfect, young, and beautiful as now. Just feel free wearing whatever you want. One dresses for their own comfort: physically and psychologically. My goal, when I look myself in the mirror all dressed up, is recognize myself; my identity.

HCUPR: Name your favorite place to chill at Rio Piedras and at La IUPI.

Juan: At Rio Piedras, I love the margaritas that the restaurant Taquería Azteca makes. I also like spending time at La Tertulia because of the space, books, and coffee. In UPRRP, I like to chill in front of the Humanities Student Council office.

HCUPR: Define yourself with three words?

Juan: Indomitable, fun, & introspective.

HCUPR: If you could time travel to any era, what would it be & why?

Juan: I don’t want to time travel ever! No matter what people say! I love where I stand today.

HCUPR: Name the best song, movie, and series that has ever existed:

Juan: My favorite songs, because I can’t name just one, is Cherish The Day by Sade, and I’m Waiting Here by Lykke Li & David Lynch, any written song by Fiona Apple. My favorite movie is Blade Runner, and my favorite series is Twin Peaks.

HCUPR: What has been your most embarrassing moment (funny moment) at La IUPI?

Juan: Oh my gosh! One day, I decided – with a close friend – to ditch a class. We decide to go to La Tertulia to catch up, when out of nowhere, the professor from the class we ditched came out of nowhere. She even confronted us!

HCUPR: What is your favorite part about La IUPI?

Juan: The most interesting thing is the diversity of the student population.

HCUPR: If you had the opportunity to travel to one country right now, where would it be & why?

Juan: Rome, Italy.  I would like to become a pop sensation like Hilary Duff in “The Lizzie McGuire Movie”.

HCUPR: Name 3 things you can’t live without:

Juan: I can’t live without my car, my friends and dogs (they count as canine friends/family), and art.

HCUPR: What is your favorite food to eat at la IUPI?

Juan:  I love to death the Pizza pastelillos of Los Veggie.

HCUPR: What is something nobody knows about you?

Juan: If I tell you, everybody would know (wink).

*Photos were taken from Juan’s Instagram and his photographer wasValentina Valdejulli and Natalia Merced

Double Major Student in Human Resources and Marketing Management. She loves Social Networks, Netflix and spending time with books once in a while. She is the oldest of three children therefore she is very responsible, humble and driven. On her spare time she manages to find time to talk to a camera over at her Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/AshleyMarie9521. She wants to change the world, doesn't know how yet but she wants to. "Live like you're at the bottom, even if you're at the top."