Life > Experiences

“Tren Urbano” Transport for Students: Yay or Nay? Here’s my Experience!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

There’s no doubt that college may come as a shocker to many. New place, new routine, new peers… New everything! A moment in time where the best you can do is adapt to the given circumstances, which will eventually become a part in the endless journey of one’s character development. Despite the numerous experiences we go through in college, one of the biggest changes doesn’t necessarily happen in college, but rather how we get there instead.

Back in high school, most of us were used to a set routine, one that rarely changed due to the lack of variety in its schedule. Our parents, or guardians, would drive us to and from school, at the same time, the same route, every single day. A practice that was rarely ever modified. On the other hand, in college, there’s a slight increase in options to get there, including our “Tren Urbano.”

For those who are not familiar with the Puerto Rican public transportation system, the “Tren Urbano” is a railroad metro project designed to make transport more efficient between selected municipalities across the island. It has been operating since late 2004 and currently consists of 16 stations across our “área metro;” ranging from sport complexes, near workplaces, a hospital, and even some universities. Taking the train has become a popular choice over the years, as it’s not only a time saver, but an economic one as well. For only $1.50, or $.75 for students, you can be able to arrive at your destination in no time. Saving yourself from hours of unbearable traffic at peak hours and lots of gas money. With its limited distance yet wide range of stops, multiple people take advantage of this service daily. From workers, to the elderly, to students most importantly, who are a big percentage of daily Tren Urbano users.

Despite its benefits, our Tren Urbano isn’t always fun and games. Like everything, it also has many flaws in its system. From the lack of updated technology, to even the lack of many potential popular destinations, or even the dangers that may come when using it, making many things low on its capabilities. Although there’s still a long way to go to get this system at its peak, it’s sort of a salvation for many. To the point where they won’t even be able to study or do what they do without this system in the first place.

During my time at university, I’ve learned to grow fond of our train system despite its flaws. Even romanticizing it at times, I do have to admit. In fact, it’s probably the calmest 30 minutes of my day. Somewhere I can organize my thoughts in the morning and even laugh with friends in the evening after a long day, where I can imagine scenarios just as if I was the main character, where I can just be even for a short period of time every day. 

On the other hand, it has also taught me to become a more observant person, especially towards what and who is around me. Like previously mentioned, multiple demographics use this system, all with different backgrounds, different problems, and different realities. A place where you can witness a variety of moods in the same space at the same time, where even the smallest gesture can brighten up someone’s day, or potentially save someone’s life.

Thalía is a second year student majoring in Environmental Design at the School of Architecture of the University of Puerto Rico (Rio Piedras Campus). When she isn't pulling all nighters to make sure she has everything ready for her crit discussion, Thalía is sketching new product ideas for her small business From the Stars co. She is a designer in the making who wishes to share messages to society through her favorite medium - art.