This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I remember back in 2015 when Vine videos were mostly pranks. Ah yes, the good  old days when doom scrolling was limited to 7 second videos of people dumping ice water on someone while sleeping or replacing water with vinegar. Vine seemed like the everyday April Fools’. However, even now that Vine is gone (RIP you will forever be missed), April Fools’ is very much an alive tradition. So, let’s embark on a journey to uncover the history and traditions of April Fools’ Day.

WHAT IS APRIL FOOLS’ DAY?

April Fools’ Day, celebrated on the first day of April each year, is a time-honored tradition filled with pranks and jokes. While its origins remain shrouded in mystery, this holiday has evolved over the centuries and continues to captivate people across the globe with its spirit.

THE ORIGINS

The exact origins of April Fools’ Day are uncertain, with several theories attempting to explain its roots. 

One popular belief traces its beginnings back to the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in the 16th century. Prior to this, New Year’s Day was celebrated around the end of March or early April. When the Gregorian calendar was introduced, moving New Year’s Day to January 1st, some people either forgot or refused to acknowledge the change, continuing to celebrate the old New Year’s date. These individuals became the subject of ridicule and pranks, earning them the name of “April fools.”

lF3KT Vuov3JW Pk4reQ5dka6xs6YR7F0QLc1PDVzRcp6M pmeCOmT6tx4TRe0mL57Dkb

Another theory suggests that April Fools’ Day has ancient origins, with similarities to springtime festivals celebrated by various cultures. These festivals often involved playful antics, mischief, and role reversals, reflecting the renewal and unpredictability of the season.

Regardless of its precise origins, April Fools’ Day gradually gained popularity throughout Europe during the Renaissance era and eventually spread to other parts of the world, becoming a beloved tradition celebrated with gusto each year.

TRADITIONS AND PRANKS

April Fools’ Day is synonymous with playful pranks and practical jokes. In modern times, individuals and media outlets alike seize the opportunity to concoct creative and often humorous schemes to deceive or surprise others.

Common April Fools’ Day pranks include fake news stories, outrageous product announcements, and practical jokes such as whoopee cushions, fake insects, and trick candies. Social media platforms and the internet have further amplified the reach of April Fools’ Day pranks, with companies, organizations, and individuals leveraging digital platforms to unleash their creativity and wit.

One of the most famous April Fools’ Day hoaxes occurred on April 1, 1957, when the British Broadcasting Corporation aired a report informing viewers about a purportedly abundant spaghetti harvest in Switzerland that year. The report attributed this surplus to the supposed decline of the spaghetti weevil. The broadcast included visuals of workers carefully gathering spaghetti from trees. While some viewers were dismayed by the deception, others were intrigued, with some even inquiring about where they could obtain a spaghetti bush. People were not pleased with this prank.

MODERN CELEBRATIONS

In the age of social media and digital communication, April Fools’ Day has evolved to encompass virtual pranks, online hoaxes, and viral challenges. Companies and brands vie for attention by releasing humorous advertisements, fake product launches, and interactive online experiences designed to engage and entertain audiences.

For example, in 2019, the popular dating app, Tinder, shared that they were going to add a height verification to their app. This would make sure that no one can lie about their height by forcing users to be honest, kind of like how they added profile verification. Imagine everyone’s disappointment (or celebration).

Despite its evolution over time, the essence of April Fools’ Day remains rooted in the joy of laughter, camaraderie, and mischief. Whether it’s a simple prank among friends or a carefully orchestrated hoax that captures the world’s imagination, April Fools’ Day continues to unite people in the spirit of spontaneity.

April Fools’ Day is a time-honored tradition that transcends borders, cultures, and generations, bringing people together through the shared experience of laughter and playfulness. 

While its origins may be shrouded in mystery, the enduring appeal of April Fools’ Day lies in its ability to inspire creativity, imagination, and a sense of camaraderie. As we celebrate this holiday each year, let us embrace the joy of silliness, surprises, and good-natured pranks, reminding ourselves not to take life too seriously and to cherish the moments of laughter and levity that April Fools’ Day brings.

Nahiomy Cruz Betancourt is a writer at Her Campus at UPR. Her articles generally cover books, movies, games, pop culture, and music. Beyond Her Campus, Nahiomy was a journalist for 3 years at Pulso Estudiantil where she covered a wide range of topics but focused on Afro-descendants and student life. She has written the short story “Overcoming Silence” for Volume 7 Number 2 of [IN]Genios which is a semiannual University of Puerto Rico literary and investigative magazine. She is currently in her fourth year at the University of Puerto Rico majoring in Journalism with a minor in English Literature. When she is not studying or writing, Nahiomy enjoys reading, playing video games, listening to indie music, and impulse buying pretty vinyl. Her favorite books include "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir and "Legendborn" by Tracy Deonn. She frequently watches 90’s to early 2000’s sitcoms and collects Pokémon cards. The current games she is obsessed with are "Baldur’s Gate 3" and "Valorant." A movie she always has on repeat is "10 Things I Hate About You." In the future, she would be interested in getting into "Dungeons & Dragons" and collecting "Magic The Gathering" cards.