This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As Puerto Ricans, there are many elements that are used to represent our culture; from our flora and fauna, like the coqui or the flor de maga, to our delicious recipes, like the mofongo and tostones, to even our out-of-a-movie scenery! All of which help form our identity as Boricuas, as Caribbeans; carrying it proudly everywhere we go. However, there are many elements that are hardly ever associated with our roots. Our precious Losas Criollas being one of them.

I’ll admit it, prior to this year I barely knew what a Losa Criolla was. Even when I’ve been so exposed to them since early on in my life. However, my interests for this unpopular topic sparked thanks to a site visit for my final project of my first year in architecture school earlier this year, where the historic city of Viejo San Juan was the protagonist of our projects. What I didn’t know back then was that my heart chose a different protagonist; ones that are mostly ignored since we’re so busy looking at what’s above us while ignoring the gems that could be under our feet.

There they were, scattered all throughout the city! The same streets we would spend hours on end walking through while chatting with our loved ones. Some of us might have even crossed them dozens of times over the years. Losas Criollas were able to brighten a space instantly thanks to their unique features; standing tall with different patterns and well saturated colors, giving personality and warmth to a space. To my surprise, they could not only be found at Viejo San Juan, but their presence spreads across the island and even the Caribbean, ranging from the most private house to the most popular museum! However, how come we barely hear about them despite their everyday presence around us?

In case you didn’t know, besides being a student, I’m also a local business owner of From the Stars CO (@fromthestarsco on both ig and tik tok!), the place where I pour all my creative juices to create unique pieces. As an artist, I couldn’t bear the sea of questions regarding this topic. Where did they originate from? How did they get here? Why aren’t they as popular as they were back then? That’s why this summer I decided to research what seemed to be an unimportant topic for many and transform it into a whole collection; hoping that someone gets in touch with their heritage on a deeper level. But, what is a Losa Criolla in the first place?!

“Losas Criollas” are fully handmade tiles made from pigment and compressed into cement. They originate in Europe in the late 18th century, where they were known as Losas Hidraulicas, a very popular ornament amongst European communities. After some decades of production, these made their appearance in the Caribbean for the first time in Cuba where they officially adopted the name of Losas Criollas thanks to our essence being embellished into their designs. Later, they finally arrive at our island in the 20th century, adorning even our most precious places gracefully and becoming just as popular as they were in Europe, where everybody wanted to have their own.

Unfortunately, their popularity didn’t last as long as we might have hoped it did. Since it’s a handmade item that needs to be crafted individually, due to its high price, many found it impossible to attain for their houses. By the 1960s, these were replaced by more budget-friendly alternatives, like the popular terrazzo tile we have all probably seen by now. However, their impact remained and will continue to remain for an eternity.

Despite their backstory, this ornamental element still holds a sentimental value to Caribbean communities as they were used as a form of self-expression. They are one of the few elements able to offer the client a lead role in designing their own place; of having their personalities tattooed into the place they sacrificed so much for; where their visitors will be able to perceive their essence the second they enter this space. I am eager to be able to see a future where Losas Criollas regain their popularity and fill our spaces once again.

Thalía is a second year student majoring in Environmental Design at the School of Architecture of the University of Puerto Rico (Rio Piedras Campus). When she isn't pulling all nighters to make sure she has everything ready for her crit discussion, Thalía is sketching new product ideas for her small business From the Stars co. She is a designer in the making who wishes to share messages to society through her favorite medium - art.